Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting the idea on the shelf almost 3 years ago, I finally started the Couch to 5k running program. I'm fully motivated, I WANT to do this, I believe I CAN do this, but my body is rebelling.

I need to know the difference between 'normal because I'm just starting' pain and 'get thee to a doctor' pain.

The first run day went as I expected - heart rate through the roof, sucking wind, but my physical self held up.

The next day I had some pain in my right ankle and later that day in my right hip, but didn't think much of it.

By the third day, which would be my Day 2 of running, everything was better at work. But then, just during my warm-up walk the pain started - right hip, right shin, right ankle. Left leg fine.

I still ran (alternated jogging/walking per the program actually, but had to tweak it because it hurt too much) - which was probably stupid, but I thought it might work itself out. I wanted to lie down on the sidewalk and cry. By the time I got out of the shower I could barely walk.

So, what's the deal? I find it odd that it's all in my right leg. Is it something in my stride? Is it normal? Will it get better? Would it even do any good to go to my family doc? Just seems silly "Um, my leg hurts."

I'm just so incredibly frustrated. I'm finally ready to work on this. Part of me feels like this is my only hope for losing weight.

(I mean, seriously, how much of an Epic Fail is it if your body collapses under the weight of a program that starts from the FREAKIN' COUCH!)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Have you built enough foundation to start running??

I am clearly NO expert. I began running only about a year ago. Like you, I wanted the health bennies. And to counteract 45+ yrs of a really cruddy lifestyle (overweight, underexercised, fam history of issues, etc. etc.).

But.

If I had tried to dive right in, I know I would have blown it. And/or injured myself.

I therefore started walking. A LOT. I had always walked 2x a day w/Wes, but this time, I tried my best to WALK-walk. Not just wander around the neighborhood.

When I had a fairly rigorous pace set and could survive it without collapsing in a heap, I started running some of it. I used my iPod, trying to jog for 'just one song,' which would make it +/- a whopping three minutes of activity.

SLOWLY, I upped that to two songs. Six mins.

Then three.

Finally, I started mapping out some distances and trying to go a mile. Didn't always make it, but thus far, I wasn't dying.

I am now at about 2.5 miles per day, every day.

Believe me. Nobody is more shocked than I.

I guess my point is this: BE SURE YOU'RE STARTING SLOWLY!! Especially if you're only just beginning a rigorous program.

Hang in there and keep at it. TONS of support from me. I know how tough it can be. There's not a time that I'm not out there sweating and panting that I don't think: I've got to be out of my skull to be doing this.......

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am starting slowly. It's not a rigorous program. The whole point of it is that it starts you off slow and easy so you don't burn out/wear out too quickly and give up. That's why I chose it. Plus several years ago when I first contemplated the whole idea, several people said they had good luck with it.

Here it is, if you want to see: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Oh, and thank you. =)

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Funny you posted this. Last night I was walking and thought let's see if I can run/jog.....I went a little ways then my left knee starting aching and my left shin....not to mention my lungs were 'bout to burst :D

Today I feel none of the aftershock :) I too kept thinking "I should be able to do this" Well I need to work up to it I know that!!

My Ipod was blaring "Hurts So Good"....Yeah right!!!

Good luck

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
I am starting slowly. It's not a rigorous program. The whole point of it is that it starts you off slow and easy so you don't burn out/wear out too quickly and give up. That's why I chose it. Plus several years ago when I first contemplated the whole idea, several people said they had good luck with it.

Here it is, if you want to see: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Oh, and thank you. =)
I signed up on that website yrs ago too :D

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Holy cow! I could NEVER maintain the pace set by Couch-2-5k. TWO MILES BY WEEK FIVE?!?!? It took me probably to MONTH five to get to two miles without bursting a lung.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
How are your shoes? Have you been properly fitted? I went to a running store to be assessed, very helpful.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
How old are you? Maybe you're just falling apart.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quite possible, Robin. I'm 35.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Well I'm no runner, but I walk everyday (briskly with the dogs). I can't stress enough, the importance of the right running/walking shoe. It can make all the difference in the world.

That coming from a woman who wears Timberlands or flip-flops while walking. *whistles innocently*

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
How are your shoes? Have you been properly fitted? I went to a running store to be assessed, very helpful.
I agree with Kiddsmom 100%.

Proper fitting running shoes is soooooo important. Shoes are desinged differently and can really make a big difference with the pain. I used to get horrible shin splints which then expanded to knee and hip pain. I would go for a short run and then couldn't walk without limping for days (I am 36). I had good *read expensive* running shoes, but couldn't run. I started researching shoes and found that the ones I had were wrong. I went to a running store, and they watched my stride/feet while I jogged in the store. He suggested a pair of shoes, and had me run again. The difference was amazing! My feet roll in after impact (over-pronante) and the shoes stabilized my foot. I now only buy running shoes that are labeled stability or motion control. It makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Melissa, I have a book called The Runners' Repair Manual which is quite informative. (Dr. Murray F. Weisenfeld w/Barbara Burr) don't know if you can still purchase it (copyright 1980)

anyhow, try and google, and also google "sciatica" <---hope that's not you have. :(

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I am finishing the running Room's couch to 10k program this Sunday! hard to beleive 10 weeks has passed already.

I went to The Running Room to have my run assessed. They put me in an Asics 1440(? 1400?) and it is excellent, minimum stability shoe. I pronate slightly on my right foot. They were only $129, not bad for a great shoe. Everytime your foot hits the ground in a run, your feet & legs & knees take 3X your body weight shocking through them... correct shoes are absolutely essential.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just getting ready to tell you that it appears to be in stock at my Barnes & Noble also.

That's what I'm afraid of, about going to be assessed - I can't spend $130 for shoes. No matter how good a deal it is or how great a shoe. Surely you can run without killing your body for less.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Holy cow! I could NEVER maintain the pace set by Couch-2-5k. TWO MILES BY WEEK FIVE?!?!? It took me probably to MONTH five to get to two miles without bursting a lung.

It depends on your fitness starting out. By week 10 of my running program you are easily running 20 minutes straight, no walk break. All programs vary, so it is important to find one that suits you.

About 5 years ago I had a 10k/1hr run every weekend, I was in much better shape then. Not great, like before kids, but better than when I started running seriously again this time.

If you are a total newbie, it helps to run for time, not distance. ie, run 2 min, walk 1 X5 for 4 runs. Then run 3 min, walk 1min X5 for 4 runs... etc.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I was just getting ready to tell you that it appears to be in stock at my Barnes & Noble also.

That's what I'm afraid of, about going to be assessed - I can't spend $130 for shoes. No matter how good a deal it is or how great a shoe. Surely you can run without killing your body for less.

Nope. Running is all about the shoes. It's like racing a car, youy can skimp on the accessories, but the car is what wins the race. You can find sales, surely, but your footwear is essential. On sales here you can get buy 1 get 1 for $1, etc. But buying right off the shelf, no sale, will cost. there is no way you can run and not damage yourself in poor shoes. You need to be assessed. They have to analyze your walk & run to see what way your feet turn, or if they turn, etc.
Running puts a lot of stress on your joints, and you can really do some damage if you aren't running in a shoe that addresses your needs.

When I was assessed, there was no pressure to buy from them. I did check online and at other stores, but there were no sales at the time, and I NEEDED them that day, so i went back & bought them. I tried on about 12 pair there and was assessed in all. There was a $79 pair, but there weren't nearly as light or 'right" feeling as the ones I picked. I didn't need the most expensive pair either, you have to get what suits your foot and gait best.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Proper shoes yes. But I refuse to believe that a person has to have $130 shoes to go out jogging.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Proper shoes yes. But I refuse to believe that a person has to have $130 shoes to go out jogging.
True dat! No way would I pay that for a pair of sneakers. Uh-uh.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
You can get a great shoe on sale. But keep in mind great shoes are all around $100 at regular price (Cdn)
The technology in the shoes is what matters. the stability, materials, support. You don't get that with a runner from Wal Mart. You get it in New Balance, Asics, Nike, etc.
If you have a chance, get assessed, then find the shoe you fit best in and look it up online. I am sure you can get one at probably half off on the net =)
Are there any outlets by you? They usually have great deals too :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts