Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had to put one of our horses down Friday. When I went down to the barn to feed in the morning I knew something was wrong with Feller when I saw him. He was covered in mud, wet, and could hardly move. I looks like he went down in the barn next to the water trough and must have struggled to get up. He had hit the water trough to where water had spilled out on him and the ground and with him fighting it made a mud pit. Some how he cut one of his back legs through the struggle. He was shaking ... not sure if he was cold or in shock or both.

Called the vet and they could not get there until 2:00 in the afternoon. I kept watching him and he was really struggling to even walk. Matter of fact, he just stood with the one leg off the ground. I call the vet back and told them I thought there might be a chance he broke it.

When the vet got there and we were finally able to get him to move just a little bit it was decided the leg was not broken, but something was wrong .. hip or back. We knew if he got down again he would not be able to get back up. It was decided to put him down so he did not suffer anymore. Feller lived a good life of 32 years.

Now we are just keeping an eye on my other horse, Kolleen. These two have been together their whole life. She saw where they put him down at ... and where we buried him. Now she stands in the barn lot just looking that way. We will see how she does as an only horse..

Run free Feller

I took this one Thursday ... thinking at the time I wonder how many more I will get with both of them.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. I also have 2 older horses that have been together their entire lives.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh Sue, I'm so sorry. What a sad story, tears here. :(

I pray that your other does well as an only horse. Poor thing.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, Feller was a beautiful boy. Prayers that your girl does okay without her companion. (((hugs))) for you.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Run free Feller! Say hi to my buddy Cochise if you see him over there. :)

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I am really sorry Sue.

I can't imagine how hard it was to see him suffer and have to make that decision.
Hope that Kolleen can be okay on her own without her friend.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm so sorry. I had to put my horse down a year ago, I was very sad. He was 32.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts