Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! My town is getting a dog park in the near future. At least the location has been decided upon and money needed has been raised. I was wondering what the rules are at the dog parks where you go? I just wanted to make sure that the people organizing this thing don't miss something important! Thanks!

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I think the biggest problem we have at our dog park is dog walkers bringing in large numbers of dogs at one time.

Then there are the people who leave their dogs at home all day, come home stick dog in car and drive straight to dog park. Dog is wound up and frustrated.

Finally at our local park people seem to gather for group chats and not watch what their dogs are doing.

Needless to say I don't go to any of my local dogparks for these reasons. I have seen too many fights. Infact just last week a boxer attacked someones greyhound and the guy gave false information.

We live in a nice area too. :)

We take Dexter to a pet excercise area near our house for frisbee. It is not fenced in but I have him on a long line. If I want social time I organize play dates with friends dogs where I know he will play in safe company.

I guess everyones experiences will differ but this is just my 2 cents.

- Dave

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Having rules is one thing, actually enforcing them is another. Here is a link to the rules at our dog park: Dog Park Rules.

At almost every visit there have been out of control dogs, and we rarely go anymore. Bauer loves it, loves to swim, loves to play; but I get tired of confronting other owners. The park has rules, but what would make it better . . . would be a way to enforce the rules.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Clean up after your dog! I can't tell you how many piles of poop I see whenever I go there, and there are bag dispensers everywhere... :rolleyes: One day I went and someone had bagged up three bags of poop then left it on the picnic table there. :mad:

Kevin

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
These are the rules at our local park:

RULES
Owners are legally responsible for their
dog(s) and any damage and/or injury
caused by their dog(s). Persons violating
these rules are subject to citation and
may be fined.
1. Owners must carry a leash for each dog at all
times and leash and unleash dogs only inside the doublegated
area.
2. Dogs are allowed off-leash when accompanied by,
and under positive control of the person bringing the dog
into the park.
3. Dogs must wear a collar with identification and
license. No prong/pinch collars, please.
4. All dog feces must be removed immediately and
placed in the provided trash receptacles.
5. No more than three (3) dogs per adult are
permitted in the park.
6. Dogs in heat are not allowed in the park.
7. The small dog area is for dogs under 30 lbs. and/
or elderly and weak.
8. Dogs under 4 months of age are prohibited in this
off-leash facility. All dogs must be current on their
vaccinations and free of contagious diseases, conditions,
and parasites.
9. Excessive barking and/or noise is not permitted.
10. Dogs showing aggression toward people or other
dogs must be immediately removed from the park by the
owner/guardian.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Below is a link to the Hill's Bark Park in Topeka; this site gives rules and much information about organization, etc.

www.hillsbarkpark.org

Our bark park is a converted softball diamond located in Gage Park (a large park in western Topeka containing a huge swimming complex, the zoo, miniature RR, flower gardens, shelter houses, playgrounds, carousel, theater, tennis courts, etc.).

After a small dog was killed by a larger dog several years ago, a separate annex for small dogs was added.

I've taken Puff there about 7 times hoping she'd play with other dogs but she only wanders around as if "stoned" by all the scents so we don't go anymore.

Instead, we started a weekly (Saturdays, 2-3) Labfest group.

Also, only 2 miles (3.2 km), 4 minutes, away we have a large nature preserve about 1 mile x .5 mile (1.6 x .8 km) in area with streams, ponds, woods, fields, deer + much other wildlife, and many trails lacing through it. Puff and I use this area early every morning for a 2 mile walk.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I have found that our dog parks are what those that go want it to be. Some I don't go to anymore. The peeps go for their own social interaction, not the dogs whicch are ignored. At most though, the peeps are great. Into their dogs, pay attention, and self police any newcomers. One of two reeactions from the newcomers. (1) I think I am going to like coming here. (2) They don't come back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts