Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We take our oldest Lab Emma, to visit my Gram at the nursing home at least 3 times a week. Emma is always very appropriate and truly loves visiting not just my Gram but lots of other of her "fan club" there.

Yesterday, my husband decided he wanted to try Ruby out going to visit. So, I made the sign of the cross over him and said "Good luck". He put Emma's vest on her and she was SO excited. Before they got there, he exercised her well, drained some of her energy and in they went.
I was hesitant for her to go only because she is SO exuberant. She just lovesssss everyone and sometimes her excitement can over power people. They walked in the doors to the home, and I swear to God, it was like watching someone turn a switch off. Ruby stopped pulling on the leash, she settled herself down, walked at a heel and greeted people with the best manners I have ever seen. She was gentle, thoughtful...didnt lick anyone's face (ok she nabbed a few hands here and there) and she was over-all just amazing. I was so so proud of her.
I have always said she is my most perceptive dog...she is very attuned to people's feelings..for example if one of the kids is crying, she turns herself inside out to make them smile. If someone is sick, she will lie down with them for hours. So, I should not be surprised that she was able to call on her good manners training and "know" NOT to jump on anyone or act like a wild woman but I WAS surprised that she could be THAT good.
We will absolutely take her back for future visits. It's good socialization for her and the residents love when they get a canine visitor.

Good girl, Ruby!!!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Ruby... you were such a good girl! I hope you got some special treats or some extra loving when you got home.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Good girl, Ruby!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have had LOTS of experience with therapy dogs. My black lab (Duchess) actually went to work with me daily at the hospital where I worked. It was always amazing to me what she could sense. She knew where people were in recovery, what kind of day they were having, and just what they needed from her. Dogs are AMAZING creatures. Most of us don't give them enough credit.

I hope to take Murphy (a Kelrobin dog like Ruby!) into some area nursing homes/hospitals some day. Such a rewarding experience.

Great job Ruby!!!!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Good girl, Ruby! Do you dogs have to be TDI or Delta Society certified to go to the nursing home, there?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Isn't it amazing what they can sense? Zoe (who is my wild child) does the same thing when she is in the presence of my 95 year old grandmother. She sits and heels right next to me; doesn't jump or run wild when my grandmother is around. Absolutely amazing!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I've worked in a nursing home for the last 26 years. A doggie visit is always welcome and brightens the spirits of both the residents and the staff. Good girl, Ruby!!

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
WTG Ruby!!! Make your mom and dad proud!!! How amazing they are, it's always so heartwarming to hear about their experiences.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts