Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Re: Rowan's spay is tomorrow.....

You bet it's normal ;D I worried about Cammy when she had to get spayed. Rowan will fine....just baby her, it's not that hard. ;)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks ~ I wonder how much I should crate her to keep her quiet......??

·
Registered
22,832 Posts

I was worried too when Abby was spayed 2 weeks ago. She did well. I keep her quiet for 2 days., restricted her activity for a week. She wore an Elizabethan collar for 10 days. She did well. Good thoughts for Rowan. She will do well. :)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I am off sick this week as well.. so will be here when tomorrow when I bring her home... straight through till Tuesday. Just wondering if I should be concerned after that while I am gone during the day ~ re: stitches etc.??

·
Registered
162 Posts

I am sure all will be fine with Rowan. :) Since you will be home with her for a few days, you will get a feel for how she is doing and if she is bothering her stitches. By next week the incision site may start to itch as it heals....keep an eye on her and you can use the Elizabethan collar while you are gone just to ensure that she doesn't pull any. Same idea with the crating....when you are home with her and can keep an eye on her, leave her out if possible. If she starts to get too crazy, put her in the crate for a while.

Try not to get too stressed ( I know, easier said than done!) Take a few deep breaths, sit down and relax with your girl...before you know it she will be home so you can spoil her some more!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I've never seen a female have one of these collars put on after being spayed.... not in Canada anyway. ::)

·
Registered
879 Posts

Good thoughts to your girl........I'm sure she'll be fine, and so will you!! I still have to go through that, (well, SHE does), but I know I'll be on here worried sick and looking for reassurance. Sending out peaceful and positive thoughts to you both.......:)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks everyone!! Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts

Totally normal, but very stressful for us parent! Rowan and you will be in our thoughts...

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Rowan's surgery went well. It took a little longer than expected apparently ~ she weighed in at 75 pounds ~ they say she is obese and needs to loose 10 pounds. How can that be possible????? :-[ I have cut her food back to 2.5 cups - cut down treats etc.....

What should a normal weight be for her???? ::)

·
Registered
81 Posts
A couple of months ago (probable like 6-8mos) we took Hobart to the vet for something or other, and our vet told us the same thing (he was obese and needed to lose 10 lbs) I left, angry, sad, and questioning why the vet said that- for I thought he was perfect just the way he was. Come to find out, he was over weight, and having talked it over with Hobarts Dad, we made the choice to see if he could lose the 10lbs. Well, we did it, in a few short months, but cutting back on unhealthy treats (PB, Cheese, etc) and cutting back on his food. He now gets 1 3/4 cups 2x a day and 1-2 yogurt and banana filled kongs a day. We use healthy homemade treats (cookies) for training broken up into very small pieces.

Hobart now weighs in at a healthy 60lbs down from 72lbs! and our vet says he looks perfect!

Just our success story- hope this helps with you upcoming decisions. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My poor baby is home and resting in her crate. She is still VERY out of it - I had to lift her in and out of the car..... but she is in her nice clean warm pet snoozing.........

I feel the vet is right as Rowan was always tired out at obedience class. I know I have been at fault for not getting her outside as much as she should have been but we have had a HORRENDOUS winter and she was just a babe in October when it all started ... yup, 6 months of hard winter .... almost her whole life.....well, on a good note I am taking this as a positive change and am looking forward to spring arriving and my girl and I spending a lot more time outside getting exercise and having fun - besides I need to loose some poundage too.

It is just so hard to know as she is a 'stalkier' build - but now that I have changed vets I feel I can get a better handle on things and have a much healthier girl - oh boy.... LOL!! I want her to be with us A LONG time. I asked about her going to get weighed in and they said I could bring her on Saturdays as it is usual quiet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am so glad to hear Rowan is home and doing well! I am sure that has taken a great weight off your shoulders!

I know how you feel about being told your dog is fat. My vet never said Grace was obese (she would say she could lose a couple lbs when I asked), but everyone else would say, "Oh yeah, she is fat, just like (name of any other lab they know)". I was always a little defensive, I could see a waist, were they blind!? Also, although she was only 4, most people thought she was 9 or 10!!! Then I took her for an obedience class to prepare for her TDI evaluation. The trainer came over and was petting her and talking to her and said to me " You know she is fat right?". We talked about changing her food, but before I could do that she tore the ligaments in her knee. Orthovet said part of the problem was her excess weight and we put her on a crash diet food to get poundage off quickly with the up coming surgery. She lost about 5 lbs by the time she had finished the diet food. After that we changed her food, reduced her treats, but really couldn't start exercising til she was cleared for activity. Within a year, she had lost 10 lbs. Then we discovered she had hypothyroidism. She went on the meds for that and today she is 20 lbs lighter than she was when she ruptured her ligaments! She is very slim & trim at 76 lbs and now people are shocked when I tell them she is 7 years old....they think she is about 2!!! :D

I bet once the weather gets better and she is feeling better, you can enjoy some nice walks and romps and the pounds should come off quickly!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I am glad Rowan is home & doing well. Abby was really out of it when we brought her home the day of her spaying. She slept & that was fine. In a few days Rowan will be raring to go. :)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She was doing some shivering and shaking and whining... and I was unsure as to why.... but I called and they said her shivering is her coming out of the anesthetic and the whining is likely the disorientation... she made it out to pee.... and now is in her crate again all covered with with a comforter.....I keep sitting with her when I can.. I wish I could crawl in her crate and snuggle..... she must hate me.... LOL!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts