Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday started off to be a great day. We had plans to go out on our boat with some friends....and, of course, take Sally. Well, at the last minute our friends cancelled. :( So we decided to go just us (hubby and me) and Sally.

Beautiful day. Sandwiches. Cooler with beverages. Warm, sunny. Sally so excited. We had just left the marina, and hubby was running the boat almost wide open. I had a bottle of spray cleaner and was in the back (it's a large pontoon boat) cleaning up some seats. Sally is up front (her favorite spot) with her head over the front rail....ears and tongue flapping in the breeze. Picture perfect, right?? ;D

Well, all of a sudden, hubby yells. I turn and look, and Sally had managed to get the little flap on the front door/gate to the boat pulled up and was on her way off the bow. Remember, hubby is going at approximately 35-40 mph. She was about to be fish food!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Her head was already off the boat....front paws poised on the edge ready to go....haunches up in the air. She was almost in mid launch! Naturally, hubby cut back but all that did was act like a brake and cause her to go farther off the boat.

My heart jumped up into my throat. I yelled and flew.....not ran....not jumped....not leaped....I did a perfect FLYING tackle that would put any NFL linebacker to shame. I flew threw the air and tacked her...grabbed her tail with one hand and back leg at the hip joint with the other arm and hung on for dear life until hubby could get up there and pull her back.

Saved my dog's life? Yep! Hero? Of course! :angel: BUT in doing so, I tore my leg up...blew my knee out. Really messed it up big time. Here are some picture I took last night to send to my kids. It actually looks worse today.

It was awful back at the marina trying to get off the boat and back up to the truck. But I can't complain really....at least Sally wasn't hurt!!!!!!! :)

And I guess she's just going to have to stay on a leash while we are running the boat. I hate that, but I'm not about to take another chance. Never in a million years would I have thought she would have tried going off that boat while we were running it.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
:eek: Oh my gosh! That looks so painful! I hope you've seen a doc, or are going to.

Feel better hero! Sally better take good care of you. ;)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I hope you're just a bit banged up and heal quickly. My word Sally! What were you thinking?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
OUCH! ::) That's worse than my knees after falling over Buddy. The things we do for our furkids. Yup, leash for Sally on the boat from now on. Not only would she have gone in the water, but the boat would have gone over her. :-[

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Wow! Glad you were able to save Sally, but your poor knee! Looks like you'll need an MRI.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
OUCH!
My heart was beating so fast when I was reading your post. I am soooo glad Sally is ok. I hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
that looks sooooo painful!

Are you/have you been icing it? Been to the docs?

Hope you heal quickly.

I'm glad Sally is okay....but gosh, look at you. :(

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
my goodness.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Ouch. I'm with everyone else that it needs to be looked at. Hope you're doing better.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did go to the doctor. He xrayed it....nothing's broken or torn so that it needs surgery or anything. He said it's just soft tissue damage that will take time to heal. I iced it for 2 days, then applied moist heat for 2 days. (actually, this happened Sunday. I think I put Monday in my original post ???)

I can put a little weight on it today. But I have two weddings to shoot this weekend....one Friday night and one Saturday....so it better get well quick! :mad:

But what I was amazed at is that I dove like that on the hard floor of the boat without even thinking. It was just automatic. I've had a bad knee for years....had surgery on it twice. So I'm very, VERY protective of my knee. But I didn't even think....all I could think of was Sally was going to be killed.....it was so instinctive. I honestly don't think I would have....or could have....reacted quicker or more instinctively if it had been one of my children. I love Sally so much.

Here we are the previous weekend out in the water together. I got out in the deeper water and she swm out there to me and we played together.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
oh...my....gosh...

I hope your injury heals up soon...that looks so painful.

Thanks goodness you weren't hurt more and Sally is okay.
It is amazing when the adrenaline kicks in and you are reacting to your dog in danger, just to what lengths you will go.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
I'm so glad that nobody was hurt too seriously. Hopefully all the soft tissue damage on your leg will heal quickly. Yes, you are a hero!!!! And Sally is a naughty a girl. Again, glad that the tragedy was averted.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I can't even imagine how you managed to catch her in mid leap. Hope you feel better fast. (You would probably feel much worse if it were Sally hurt.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Glad the story had a good ending. Well as good as can be with a sore knee, but the alternative could have been so much worse.

Heal fast!

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Wow. Sorry to say this, but that looks terrible. At least I guess you got a story out of it. :)

It's amazing what we do for them without even thinking.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts