Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just can't believe how empty and lonely this place is without Shadow. :( It was bad enough when I was getting ready for work and she wasn't there, waiting with a toy to show me when I opened the shower curtain, checking out the clothes I laid out to wear (had to make sure it all matched, you know!), nose bumping my fingers as I walked through the house, following me around the kitchen as I packed my lunch, peeking through the crack when I opened the refrigerator door hoping for an apple, and then running for her rug when I opened the freezer to get her Kong. But it was much worse when I came home to a silent house, no happy little girl, smiling with a mouth full of toy, greeting me at the door, wagging and wiggling all over, then doing the Labby bounce when I came in. :'(

I don't know how long I can go without another furkid to fill the void ... but I know I would compare any other dog with her and they can't possibly measure up. That would not be fair. And I sincerely doubt that another guardian angel is going to come bouncing down the street and into our lives like she did, at a time when we most needed her!

Thank you, from the very depths of our hearts, for all of the wonderful messages you have left us and the uplifting PMs you have sent. We can't possibly begin to answer them all. Please know that we read (several times) and appreciate them all. It is so gratifying to know that so many others appreciated our sweet baby girl. We hope that she has met up with all of the other wonderful dogs who have crossed the Bridge, and that she has finally learned to 'run with the pack.' :) We will see her again,I know.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Hang in there Bill and Jackie, maybe if the loneliness is too much perhaps Shadow will send you another pup to fill the void, of course it would NEVER replace shadow, but maybe she will send you a new friend to help you heal. Don't rush into anything, do whatever you need to do, just know that if you DO need another pup to help you with your loss I don't think that Shadow would feel that you are "replacing her" Hang in there, we are all thinking of you!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Continuing to keep you guys in my prayers. Who knows, in time, maybe another little angel will come into your lives and you will need them as much as they need you. And you will be able to love him/her for who they are and not compare to Shadow.

God bless...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
We do share your pain, as we have all -- at one time or another -- had to make the most difficult decision of all concerning our furbabies. Sending you warm (((HUGS))) and strength and prayers.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Oh, Jackie, I am so sorry. The heartache seems like it will never ever end, the tears won't stop and the house is so empty. But Shadow is running without any pain now, and that is a comfort.

When... if... it's time for another furkid, you'll know. :)

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Keeping you and Bill in my thoughts. Your angel is watching you.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Just wanted to say that I understand your post completely. And I hope for better days ahead.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Jackie & Bill,

Big big (((((HUGS)))))!!!!

I remember how it was when we had to put our family's GSD down many years ago.

Like the others have said, when the time is right it will happen... Shadow will send the perfect new angel for you to love.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Keepin you in my prayers. I know that silent feeling.

Could you perhaps foster and give a lab a chance at at normal life until you are ready to get another of your own?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Jackie -

Oh, how I remember the empty house. It was like a knife through my heart to walk in the door. I was miserable at home because there were constant reminders he wasn't there anymore. And I was miserable at work because I wasn't at home where I could cry at will.

I lived like that for a month.

Then came Angus.

He was nothing like Crash. Nothing at all. Where Crash was a born gentleman, Angus' sole purpose in life seemed to be to torture me. So now, I was miserable at home because Angus was driving me insane, and miserable at work because I felt guilty that he was at home alone.

I lived like that for several more months.

Now, of course, I adore him so completely. I would have never thought it.

For now, just heal. Try to heal, anyway. Do what it takes to get through. One foot in front of the other, knowing that each day will be a tiny bit better than the last.

Some people say put things away. Others say leave them out. I think either way, their presence and their absence seem equally painful. :'(

You will know when the time is right to open your heart again. And you will - one day. When you do, you might compare them. I think it's human nature. But here's what I always like to think: The best tribute I can give to Crash and his memory is that after he was gone, I quickly realized I could not bear to go on without a dog. What does that say about him? He was so important and so special in our lives, that his absence left a gaping void that demanded to be filled. He taught us what love really was.

I thought of you all day today. I hope you are taking care of yourself, not skipping meals, doing what it takes to stay physically strong.

Please let us know if there's anything we can do.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I am so sorry. I wish there was something I could say or do to ease the pain of your loss, but Shadow was too special a girl to leave any less of an impact. Just know that she's running through the fields on the other side of the bridge, ready for the day you will see her again.

:'( God Speed Beautiful Girl.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts