Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, it well pretty much as I predicted, only I forgot to factor in my getting more wet than Rocky ;)

Silly boy. Our first practice run (one on one with a trainer) we went to the ramp (the one they use to get out of hte pool). He wouldn't move his back legs off the ramp, though he did go down abit. He did finally leave it but then had a hard time getting back on. Second time up, he woudln't move his back legs off the ramp. So during both these tries he DID get wet.

So...then we try the actual Dock. ROFL. First time up, nothing much (practice run). Then we did two heats, nada.

Afterwards there was some free dock time again and no one around so we went again for some practice. He was pacing and crying and wining, got on his elbows...all really good signs. But he did not go in the water. We took a 10 mins break and tried again, but by this point it had been a long day. This is where I got all wet laying down on the dock and he stayed nice and dry ;)

So, there is potential there. In all likelyhoods if I play my cards right he WILL jump in. Or well, dive in ;) It will take some time and patience but I predicted as much.

But he was realllly well behaved and got lots of loving from the people around. HE got to see his FAVORITE people (my friends) too :) And I had a blast.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Sounds like a very positive first go! Nice job Rocky and Tanya!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
All that matters is that the two of you had fun, and it sounds like you did! He'll jump in next time :D

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
All you need is practice. Remember the three steps in training, first is confidence to jump off the dock. That is where you are right now. Once he jumps you should be over that hurdle. Then move on to speed and dock distance. Start at the front of the dock with your throws then move a bit back in increments. Soon Rocky will be flying. That's where I am with Duke right now. The final step is height. To add distance you need to add height. That develops by training to chase the bumper so the dog leaps up after it.
Keep us posted on Rocky's progress.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
i wish i could get my puppy to swim. she will walk in the water but will not swim. we live on the water and she wont take that first jump off the steps at high tide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts