Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a robin's nest on top of the porchlight and it has 4 eggs in it. The mom robin is still around and does sit on the nest. She flies away when we approach the door.

At this point, I can't take down the nest (nor use the light) and from what I've read, it takes about a month from eggs to flying away. I have some questions. The area below the light is all concrete and steps. Am I going to end up with dead baby birds based on the following?

Q. When do young robins learn to fly?

A. Baby robins jump from their nest when they are about 13 days old. It takes them another 10-15 days to become strong fliers and independent birds.

If they jump, can they land safely on concrete or do I need to put a comforter under the nest for 2 weeks? Are my toddlers going to be dive-bombed?

Can I dismantle the nest after the hatchlings are gone? I read that robins have 2 or 3 breedings and I don't want the nest up there but would the mom robin build another nest somewhere else?

I'm not enthused about this whole thing and wish I had removed the nest while it was under construction.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
you won't be dive-bombed, I think only blue jays do that ( and it's not pleasant! :mad:)

I would probably just let nature do it's thing, I've seen robins nests in much more precarious positions and its worked out fine!

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
The fledglings should be just fine. They usually land softly on their first flights. They will however be vulnerable to cats. If you have cats, keep them indoors for awhile. After the fledglings are gone, remove the nest, and if you can cover the light with chicken wire in such a manner that the female can not rebuild there. She will find another spot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts