Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't wiff till the second to last ball. I was so pissed too! I thought I was going to make it through the whole bucket. So close.

Also, I bet I got 80% of the balls in the air. A great day for me.

Still though, my best shots with the driver don't go 150 yards. Will the distance eventually come with practice?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Melissa, nice work on not whiffing until the very end. That could be due to fatigue, so don't be too hard on yourself, even though you feel really silly when it happens :eek:

Yes, your distance will get better the more often you get out there & practice and/or play.

I've noticed mine has improved since I first started. The other thing I noted this year is, my swing is stronger & has more umph since I've been doing upper body weight training at the gym once a week.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I have been playing golf since I was a little kid, and I still whiff sometimes. Great job on getting through almost an entire bucket of balls. :)

The distance will definitely come with practice. As your body gets more and more used to the motion, you will fine tune your swing and the distance will come.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Nice job. Especially if it's hot out, the last couple of balls in the bucket are rarely any good, except for the last one because you really want to end on a good shot.

The distance will come but working on good contact is really the important thing. A lot of people never hit it very far, but because they are accurate they can score pretty well. You can save a lot of strokes around the green so don't forget to work on your short game, too. It's not as glamorous as killing it off the tee but it's probably more important in the long run.

Hope you're having fun with it.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
A lot of people never hit it very far, but because they are accurate they can score pretty well.
Good point! It might be nice to wail on the ball & have it go 200, 250 or 300 yards (like the pros), but it does little good to hit them that far, if you put them in the trees, the rough, the water, etc.

I'd rather be short & straight over long & all over the place.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hope you're having fun with it.
I am having fun. :)

I hit with a variety of clubs yesterday. I didn't chip or putt, but you're right... I do need to practice those too if I want to actually get on the golf course. Right now I'm still too scared of it all to try to play! It's going to take a while longer at the range before I'm comfortable enough to try even the par 3 down the road.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I probably hit balls for three months before I played an actual course. I really did not want to embarass myself. It was going to be ok that I was new, but I didn't want to be totally inept.

Definitely start with a par 3 course. There are plenty of challenges when you start without trying to stare down a 400 yard par four.

The most important thing of all, if you can't play well, at least play fast. Nobody minds playing with a new or poor player if they keep moving. Line up every shot for 20 minutes and somebody will smack you with a wedge.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
The most important thing of all, if you can't play well, at least play fast. Nobody minds playing with a new or poor player if they keep moving. Line up every shot for 20 minutes and somebody will smack you with a wedge.
Oh hell yes... if nothing else that is one thing my father in-grained in me about playing golf. Be quick about it!

Same goes for looking for errant balls, don't spend forever looking for that ball that went into the woods, bounced off the rock & might have gone back onto the fairway.

Also, I've noticed some novice golfers who'll tee it up & then take 67 practice swings. Not only will this make you **** tired by the end of 18 holes, but it will annoy the piss out of whoever you are playing with & likely the foursome behind you.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't ever practice swing. It makes me feel ridiculous. So, that's one thing I don't have to worry about!

I line up the shot and give myself a little pep talk in my head that goes something like "don't lift up, don't lift up..." One shot yesterday, I bet I kept the club in my backswing for 2 seconds concentrating on not swinging over the ball. It was one of my best ones. Maybe I just need to swing veeerrrryyyyy slooooowwwwly. =)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts