Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this morning's paper, Jay Bilas & **** Vitale (ESPN TV peeps) are quoted as saying Kansas has the path, the bracket, with the most big bumps but the odds makers currently list KU and UK as both having 2-1 odds to win it all for the National Championship.

My hunch is that Duke will be the first to lose. Any one of the Villanova, Baylor, Texas A&M, Louisville, Purdue teams would be tough teams for Duke to survive.

Syracuse is my next guess to go.

Like the odds makers in Vegas, I'm predicting the final match to be KU-UK. :first:

And, if those 2 teams had to play a best of 5 series, KU would win in 3.

But in a one game match, KU probably wins -- on the strength of their defense plus having a bench nearly as strong as (and occasionally stronger than) their starting 5.
:cheer2:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Watch out for Arkansas Pine Bluff (17-15) if they get past Winthrop in the play off for the sixteenth seed in the south. Wonder what the odds are? I like Looooooong shots.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Don't get too cocky about KU Mr. Bob. I'll bet a chub of goetta that we'll get further that Kentucky will get farther than Kansas. And if you lose you can just send me Puff...how about that. :yell:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I think Kansas got screwed, they have the toughest overall bracket. UK has the second, IMO. I don't like the fact that UK will (probably) be facing a former #1 ranked Texas in just the second round of the tournament, or that the highest #2 seed is in our bracket. KU has the #2 overall 2 seed and probably the best 3 and 4 seed in the tournament. Having said that, UK and KU have been the best two teams consistently throughout the year. Both are sitting at 32-2. I would be stunned if KU didn't make it to the Final Four. UK has the talent to make it there, but there are teams in their bracket that are capable of upsetting them. Some of the analysts think West Virginia is the big threat...I think it's Wisconsin (assuming they make it far enough). Bo Ryan's teams can slow a game to a snail's pace, and UK's young team has shown they can get frustrated by this because they like to play fast. When they get frustrated, they make stupid freshmen mistakes. Still, I like our chances with John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, and Patrick Patterson to get them to the Final Four. I would be less stunned if UK got upset solely because of their lack of experience. I think the odds are pretty good for a coaching re-match of the 2008 title game, but I think it's more likely Kansas makes it than UK. I'm still going with my alma mater though, I think they can get there, and I think KU v. UK would be a great title game. Indy will love it...both fan bases travel extremely well.

Edit:
I forgot to answer the question. I think you're right, Duke will be the first to go. Kansas will beat Syracuse in the Final Four (although if Onuaku isn't healthy, Syracuse may lose before then).

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about Texas. I don't remember a team falling apart this quickly and completely. Like you said, Wisconsin would worry me if I had a young team that may be easily frustrated. Obviously Kentucky has more talent, but there is something to be said for experience in the tournament. I think Duke will be out relatively early.

A&M got a pretty favorable draw, so if we play up to our potential we can make the Elite 8.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
The Selection Committee handed Duke a clear path to the Final Four and Kansas a long tough road. Purdue should have, could have been No. 1 seed but got bumped to No. 4 after losing Hummel. Their other top two players both sustained injuries on Saturday. The extent that will effect them this weekend remains to be seen.

Kentucky is vulnerable but I am going to go with Duke as the first No. 1 to be ousted. Notre Dame a No. 5 seed give me a break.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Funny thing on a friend's Facebook status this morning: did IU get the 4th or 5th seed?

UConn, UCLA, NC, Arizona... all out of the tournament. Wild.

I'll be pulling for the little Butler Bulldogs.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't see an "IU" in any of the 4 brackets.

Butler (28-4) is ranked #5 in the West bracket (Syracuse #1) and plays UTEP (26-6) Thursday. Butler usually has a very strong team (as KU will attest). The winner of the BU/UTEP game goes on to play the winner of the Vanderbilt (24-8)/Murray State (30-4) game.

#1 Syracuse will beat #16 Vermont in their opening game -- BUT, as a former Vermonter, I hope it's not an easy walk in the park.

I think #5 Temple will have all it wants, and maybe much more, in laying #12 Cornell. Cornell has a VERY strong team this year.

It's impossibly hard to predict which #8 Texas team will show up to play but the other Big 12 teams in the NCAA -- KU, K-State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas A&M, Missouri -- should do the B12 conference proud.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I *hope* Duke is the first to go. I think they will be too.

Wait, no one wants to pick Wake to go all the way? :tongue1:

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I *hope* Duke is the first to go. I think they will be too.

Wait, no one wants to pick Wake to go all the way? :tongue1:
As I mull over the brackets I will play, I remember sooo many years where upsets were aplenty. No one is out as of today.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Oh, I'm pretty sure you can count Wake out. The only thing that team has the corner on is choking (see: loss to Miami in first round of ACC Tournament, etc.).

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Anyone want to predict the first round results? :pop2:

MIDWEST

Oklahoma City

KU
-------Result>>
LEH

UNLV
-------Result>>
UNI

Spokane

MSU
-------Result>>
NMSU

MD
-------Result>>
HOU

Providence

TENN
-------Result>>
SDSU

GTWN
-------Result>>
OHIO

Milwaukee

OKST
-------Result>>
GT

OSU
-------Result>>
UCSB

WEST

Buffalo

SYR
-------Result>>
UVM

GONZ
-------Result>>
FSU

San Jose

BUT
-------Result>>
UTEP

VAN
-------Result>>
MURR

Milwaukee

XAV
-------Result>>
MINN

PITT
-------Result>>
OAK

Oklahoma City

BYU
-------Result>>
FLA

KSU
-------Result>>
UNT

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
EAST

New Orleans

UK
-------Result>>
ETSU

TEX
-------Result>>
WAKE

Jacksonville

TEM
-------Result>>
COR

WIS
-------Result>>
WOF

San Jose

MARQ
-------Result>>
WASH

UNM
-------Result>>
MONT

Buffalo

CLEM
-------Result>>
MIZZ

WVU
-------Result>>
MORG

SOUTH

Jacksonville

DUKE

CAL
-------Result>>
LOU

Spokane

TA&M
-------Result>>
USU

PUR
-------Result>>
SIE

New Orleans

ND
-------Result>>
ODU

BAY
-------Result>>
SHSU

Providence

RICH
-------Result>>
SMC

VILL
-------Result>>
RMU

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Mr. Bob you totally looked over my offer to send you goetta should Kansas win the whole thing. I am hopeful that you will at least try it. A chub or block is not that big probably 8 or 9 slices. How about it? :attention
I didn't think you were serious since, in your original offer, you said I was to send you Puff if KU lost!!

While I think the odds very slightly favor KU winning the NCAA national championship, I could never put Puff at the slightest risk. As everyone knows, I'd never take the risk of parting with Puff.

But while you do sound serious about sending goetta to me -- if KU wins -- and if so, that's a mighty gracious thing to do, goetta's ingredients (a pork and steel cut oats "scrapple") don't fit my preferred, customary diet.

Goetta does sound interesting enough, though, to sometime take just one bite to taste.

Years ago, my Church of the Brethren (German origin) relatives in Virginia used to make scrapple and serve it fried for breakfast, usually eaten with syrup on it (IIRC). Tasted good. Is goetta cooked and eaten the same way?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Do we get to change our prediction? Oh boy. Sure hope Bob went to a dance tonight cause I don't think he's going to want to hear about what just happened. Oh boy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.