Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been there? I think my husband and I along with another couple have decided to go there for a 4 night/5 day trip.
This other couple is also by husbands boss and long time friend, who owns the company they work for. Because they are the number 1 and number 2 guys in the company we are trying to limit missing 2 work days and booking the trip over a holiday weekend.
Anyone have any recommendations?

So far we have found this place that we like.
www.leblancsparesort.com

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
my son went to Cacun *I think*
it was during spring break
he told me the militia & police was walking around with machine guns because of the drug wars
and he's not in college so he said he'd never go again during spring break LOL
even tho his main plan was to lay on the beach with his friends & drink day & night.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Just a little tip if you go. Don't rent a car. Take a taxi wherever you go. I've been there twice and both times have been stopped by the police, our licenses have been taken, and then they tell you you've broken some law and the fine is X dollars. Then they tell you that you have to pay them directly, in cash, or they can't give you back your license. Well, you can't fly home without it and he's got a gun so you pay him even though you know it's a shake-down.

It also happened to my parents when they went to Mexico. They were instructed to turn right at an intersection by the police and then when it turned out it was a dead end, they were stopped on their way back for an illegal right turn. Apparently they just prey on rental cars.

It's a beautiful place but stuff like this is why we go to Hawaii now.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
We stayed at the Sun Palace years ago and loved it! The only thing I didn't like was being solicited on the beach every 5 seconds. ::)

G

·
Moon Palace is more Riveria Maya. No one bothers you and there is no reason to even leave the resort!!! The beach is not as nice as the ones in Cancun, but the pool is amazing! Everything is there, shopping, bars, nightclubs, 14 rest., and shows at night.

We got two excursions with our package. One day we went to Isla Mujares (no idea if I spelled that right). Half the island is a beach the other half is all shopping. We got some great deals. The other trip was supposed to be to the Mayan Ruins but my sister and I could not drag our hungover butts out of bed!!!I went when I was in 12th grade and the summer after I graduated.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Golfgirlrobin said:
Just a little tip if you go. Don't rent a car. Take a taxi wherever you go. I've been there twice and both times have been stopped by the police, our licenses have been taken, and then they tell you you've broken some law and the fine is X dollars. Then they tell you that you have to pay them directly, in cash, or they can't give you back your license. Well, you can't fly home without it and he's got a gun so you pay him even though you know it's a shake-down.

It also happened to my parents when they went to Mexico. They were instructed to turn right at an intersection by the police and then when it turned out it was a dead end, they were stopped on their way back for an illegal right turn. Apparently they just prey on rental cars.

It's a beautiful place but stuff like this is why we go to Hawaii now.
Since this is an all inclusive and we are only going for 4 nights 5 days I doubt we'll even want to leave the resort. But thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
It depends on what you are looking for. We were there last summer. We stayed at the Moon Palace too and loved it.

Here are my thoughts on it:

Cancun is party central so if you like the night life, you'll love Cancun.

Riviera Maya is more quiet and out of the way. It's luxury resort living plopped in the middle of the jungle. It is a long way from everything so once you are there, you are there. To go just about anywhere other than your resort will be a full day trip.

Resorts in the RM are pretty much self contained (restaurants, shopping, beaches, golf, etc). You never have to leave if you don't want to (this is particularly true of Moon Palace)

Cancun (and Cozumel :'( ) is still under construction from the hurricane that went thru a couple of years ago. The town looked like it had been hit by a bomb. Yes, many places have rebuilt but there are still piles of rubble and blown out buildings on just about every corner. It's very sad to see.

Moon Palace was incredible in every aspect except one...the ocean. The beaches and pools were gorgeous but the hotel is positioned where it basically catches all of the garbage of the sea. The waters and beaches are covered in seaweed. Now that type of thing doesn't really bother me but if you are looking for the pretty blue Caribbean waters, you aren't going to find them at this hotel. The beach and pools more than make up for it though.

We went diving in Cozumel. Most of the coral reef has been covered by sand from the hurricane. It will be years, life times even, before it recovers.

We loved Playa Del Carmen. We weren't there very long (just catching the ferry to Cozumel) but it was very quaint...lots of wonderful shopping (not beach vendor shopping though).

We went on a jungle tour to visit Coba, the oldest ruins, but they are still being excavated which makes it seem very wild and untamed. You could just imagine living there in ancient times. It included a trip on a zip line, rapelling, lunch in a Mayan village, kayaking, hiking, and swimming in a cenote. Awesome!!! Can't recommend it enough.

http://www.cancunvista.com/travel/mayan_encounter_coba_chimuch.htm

I'm not sure if that is the tour company we used. We booked thru Moon Palace. The order of our trip was reverse of this one so we actually got to swim after touring Coba. It made for a much nicer ride home. ;)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
There is a town called Peurto Morelos that is between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. I stayed at a friends home there years ago, and I've heard that some resorts have come there since, it was gorgeous! We visited Cancun (I didn't love it, if I want to relax and lie on the beach I don't want to do it in a city), and Play Del Carmen (FUN!) and also drove around the whole Yukutan and went inland to Merida (not a touristy place, but so cool).

Anyhow, google Peurto Morelos and you will get lots of hits. If you were interested in renting a vacation home, let me know and I'll refer you!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How far is Riviera Maya from the closet airport?
Basically I am looking for a nice hotel, swim up pool, good food and nice beach and ocean. I don't need anything fancy, but I want it nice. I was looking in the range of $1000-$1400 pp for 5 days/4 nights.

I prefer rooms with a balcony or porch, not high rise type places.
The other woman in our group found www.leblancsparesort.com and while it seems nice I don't like that high rise style and it seems a bit fancy for me. The dinner restaurants require skirts or pants, no flip flops for women. I wouldn't mind a nice fancy dinner once while we were there, but I'd like to have the option of wearing decent shorts and flip flops!

Leaving the resort isn't important really, since we are only going to be there for 5 days. Although, I am sure the guys would like to go fishing one day and golf another.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My husband and I went to El Dorado Royale (an all inclusive spa resort) for our honeymoon that was BEYOND words WONDERFUL!!! I have pics if you are interested!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts