Just Labradors banner

RIP Harve Presnell

211 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dweck 
#1 ·
Gah. I think we're on our fourth set of threes.

Harve Presnell passed away. He was a booming baritone back in the 1960s-1970s ("Paint Your Wagon," for example, and a [presumably terrible] musical version of "Gone w/the Wind," where he played Rhett).

More recently, was the father in "Fargo."

#4 ·
Harve was also in the stage AND FILM versions of "The Unsinkable Molly Brown."

And for me -- hate to rain on your parade, Jackie -- he's the ONLY thing good about the movie version of "Paint Your Wagon." Somehow, Lee Marvin croaking like a bullfrog, or Clint, whisper-singing his way through the score, just don't cut it........

#5 ·
Harve was also in the stage AND FILM versions of "The Unsinkable Molly Brown."

And for me -- hate to rain on your parade, Jackie -- he's the ONLY thing good about the movie version of "Paint Your Wagon." Somehow, Lee Marvin croaking like a bullfrog, or Clint, whisper-singing his way through the score, just don't cut it........
Oh, I don't love Clint's singing, just the song! ;) I like the silliness of the movie in general. When I was in drum corps, we used some of the music for part of our routine one year. It was great!

#6 ·
True nuff. "They Call the Wind Maria" is a gorgeous song. I also like "Where Ya' Going/I'm On My Way."

I think Joshua Logan (Director) was stoned on anti-depressants during the filming of that entire movie mess. Logan ruined "South Pacific" in the stage-to-screen transfer, too.

#7 ·
True nuff. "They Call the Wind Maria" is a gorgeous song. I also like "Where Ya' Going/I'm On My Way."

I think Joshua Logan (Director) was stoned on anti-depressants during the filming of that entire movie mess. Logan ruined "South Pacific" in the stage-to-screen transfer, too.
That is one of my very favorite songs! Which came first, the play version or the Kingston Trio?

Away out here they got a name
For rain and wind and fire
The rain is Tess, the fire Joe,
And they call the wind Maria

Maria blows the stars around
And sends the clouds a’flyin’
Maria makes the mountains sound
Like folks were up there dying

Maria
Maria
They call the wind Maria

Before I knew Maria’s name
And heard her wail and whinin’
I had a girl and she had me
And the sun was always shinin’

But then one day I left my girl
I left her far behind me
And now I’m lost, so gone and lost
Not even God can find me

Maria
Maria
They call the wind Maria

Out here they got a name for rain
For wind and fire only
But when you’re lost and all alone
There ain’t no word but lonely

And I’m a lost and lonely man
Without a star to guide me
Maria blow my love to me
I need my girl beside me

Maria
Maria
They call the wind Maria

Maria
Maria!
Blow my love to me

#8 ·
The Bway musical was written in 1951, so I'm guessing the song pre-dates TKT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.