Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bauer has a gray ring around his tail. He has always had it, but it seems to be getting more noticable as he gets older. It is most pronounced when he is wet, and his fur seems a little thinner there. Is this common?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Mocha has a very similar spot that has white fur on her tail it's been there since she was a pup. Her hair isn't thinner though just white.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Jaida has a ring around her ankle of white hairs, and then a small little (2 or 3 hairs) patch on her back. I always just assumed that they were birthmarks or something...

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm . . . interesting. I wonder if it is a chocolate lab thing.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Is it about 1/4 of the way down? I've seen tons of labs who's tails are thin in that area and I've always wondered why. I don't notice anything like that on Baloo, but I've usually seen it on older labs, so I just assumed that was why. Odd...

·
Registered
806 Posts
There's a scent glad there. Both Puzzle and Tattle have that ring around their tail and becomes really obvious when they're blowing coat.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it about 1/4 of the way down? I've seen tons of labs who's tails are thin in that area and I've always wondered why. I don't notice anything like that on Baloo, but I've usually seen it on older labs, so I just assumed that was why. Odd...
Yep, it is about 1/4 of the way down. It is also only about 3/4 of each hair. The end 1/4 of each hair is brown, the top 3/4 of each hair is gray. Weird, but apparently common.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I just checked Lexi's tail & she has the same thing. Hers is a bit more pronounced, but there is clearly a ring about 1/2 down her tail, that has quite a bit of white hairs.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
My chocolate, Diesel has the same ring around his tail. I did not know it was common. His appeared pretty suddenly about 6 months after his diabetes onset. He actually has quite a bit of gray on his chin and neck for a not quite 3 year old dog.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Maybe Jeb needs a bath, (just kidding!)

Remington has a beautiful half circle of lovely white hairs fanning out around his Mr. Peeper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts