Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna give my doggie a chance to burn off some energy, but I can't take him on walks for another three weeks. Is it ok to play fetch with him? Will the running hurt his joint development? I've been playing with him in the back yard, he gets into chasing the ball and gets some really good runs in, but I'm sometimes paranoid about hurting his joints vs. not giving him enough exercise. (and overfeeding him vs. not giving him enough, he's gaining weight but he eats like a he hasn't had food in two days every time I feed him -- his bowl is empty in under two minutes)
Oh, the joys of puppies. ;-)

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I think the rule of thumb is 5 minutes for every month of age... so 10-15 minutes of structured play would be okay for a 3 mo.. but keep it fun and sweet and short

·
Registered
311 Posts
I started walking my dog at about 10 weeks because I had no other option as I had to get him used to the leash because of a couple of events going on in my life. He turned out ok. I say go for it!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I thought it was only leash walking that was an issue, because if you have them on a leash they have no choice other than to walk. If you're throwing a ball for them they can stop chasing and lie down if they're tired. I think playing is fine - goodness knows my younger dog chased the older for hours at a time when he was a pup, he's 3 now and in great shape.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I believe the 5 min/month rule on exercise refers to forced or disciplined exercise. I don't think it refers to play time. i.e. dog chasing dog, dog chasing ball, dog (unleashed) chasing owner. When it is play, the dog is free to stop and lay down, owner is obligated to acknowledge it time to quit. However, taking a young dog out for a couple mile jog, or even forced walk on lead, is different and the rule should apply. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
not every dog/puppy will quit playing if tired, though. (Just ask any border collie owner)
I agree. My lab would have kept playing and playing to exhaustion (and still kept going) just to keep us happy. We had to make sure we read her signs and stopped her when she needed to be stopped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts