Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my name mentioned on the radio today, just a request on the drive home show I listen to every day, my 10 seconds of fame but it was a nice feeling just the same. It got me pondering fame and fortune a little so I was just wondering who is the most famous person you have ever had the pleasure/displeasure of meeting or coming into contact with?

About 15 years ago The Queen came to visit the city where I work and we took some of the children from my school along to shake her hand, she is very petite and immaculately turned out and I got to shake her small, white gloved hand.

Better than that though, my Dad was a police officer in the 1960's and one time when the Beatles came to play the local dance hall, my dad was responsible for getting them back through the screaming hoards of girls and back into the back of their blue transit van. Along with several other officers they made a gangway for John, George, Paul and Ringo to run down where their van was waiting at the end for them to climb into, dad was the last officer in line right next to the van, as each Beatle climbed in my dad's hand supported their back and then he slammed shut the doors and went to bang on the back to indicate to the driver it was safe to pull off. However in his haste to get them away safely, dad trapped one of his leather police gloves in the door, not having time to release it, he had to remove his hand and watch as it disappeared still stuck in the van doors.
I wonder what ever happened to it?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Cool stories!

I had breakfast with James Carville. He was incredibly nice and very encouraging (I was a journalism student at the time).

Other than that no one really famous - I met David Sedaris (author) and he was hilarious. We talked about turtles and salmonella :)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
leather police gloves in the door, not having time to release it, he had to remove his hand and watch as it disappeared still stuck in the van doors.
I wonder what ever happened to it?
On sale on eBay, $299.99. No reserve.

• I've met Julie Andrews 2x. She is as gorgeous as you'd hope. The bluest eyes I have ever seen, bar none.
  • (then-Delaware Gov) Tom Carper.
  • Friend of mine had a syndicated radio show centering on the movies. I was on his show via phone countless times and in-studio once.
  • Couple of walk-bys: Jeff Goldblum (at an airport); Peter Ustinov (airport); Pope John Paul II (when he was in Phila visiting)
  • I have an autographed pic of Jimmy Stewart -- with a personal note thanking me for writing to him. I rec'd these just days prior to him passing away, so I've always wondered if I possess Jimmy Stewart's LAST official autograph.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
John Amos (Good Times) lives in my town, as does (did?) Joe Piscapo. Ran into both of them several times. Both really nice guys!

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Pope John Paul II was the most exciting. Did not actually meet him but we yelled to him and he turned and smiled at us and waved.
John Tudor, Bob Forsch,Al Hrabosky, Albert Pujols, Bob Costas, Stan the man Musial(can you tell I like baseball?).
Once my daughter was running the upper deck track at our civic center and Larry the Cable Guy was setting up down stairs for a show. He looked up at her running the track and yelled "hey, there ain't nobody chasin ya, slow down". LOL
My SU and sons have autographs of many Indy Car drivers.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Jesse Jackson, long, long time ago at some rally in Pittsburgh. A few local celebrities, you guys wouldn't know, radio personalities.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I used to live in NYC so the number of walk-bys are too numerous to account for. I did, literally, run into Jennifer Aniston. She was dating Tate Donovan at the time and the two of them were walking thru my office lobby and I had my sunglasses on and didn't see and literally walked right into her. Apologized and walked away until I noticed the security guard giving me this look and I turned around and saw who it was.

There was empty office space on my floor that was being used for production offices so I've ridden up in the elevator with Stanley Tucci and Kyra Sedgewick (who was meeting Kevin Bacon-my office manager rode up with him) and William Shatner was outside my office door rehearsing lines for his audition for a bit.

I also had a friend who was an NBC page and we used to go see the Saturday Night Live rehearsals. One night he was walking us through the back and I came around the corner almost head first into Chevy Chase's elbow. The man is frickin' LARGE.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Once my daughter was running the upper deck track at our civic center and Larry the Cable Guy was setting up down stairs for a show. He looked up at her running the track and yelled "hey, there ain't nobody chasin ya, slow down".
LOL!!!!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I have met Shaq, yes he is a douche. I waited on Martin LaPointe in a restaurant I worked at, former Red Wing. I also met the band Cheap Trick. They played a private concert for our company.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I grew up in NYC, so like Melissa the walk-bys are too numerous to count, though I do remember being in line at my favorite bakery behind Dustin Hoffman. I managed to crash the preview party for "Havanna" so met Robert redford at that - lied through my teeth and told him the film was wonderful (I still haven't seen it!).

When I danced professionally, I met all kinds of people in ballet and musical theatre - highlights are getting stepped on by Rudoplh Nureyev on stage in one of his very last performances around 1988 (when I was just starting my career), being onstage with Ray Charles in one ballet (he performed live for the gala and the bass player in his band was a real ass), and regularly having Baryshnikov show up for ballet class. Because a lot of my friends were studying music at Juilliard, I met several famous classical musicians, too: Yo Yo Ma and Placido Domingo are standouts. When I was with Phantom, of course I met Hal Prince (director) and Andrew Lloyd Webber (once). One of the stagehands who toured with us and was dating one of my friends got us backstage to meet Lyle Lovett after a performance, because he used to be Lyle's lighting designer, that was cool.

One of my particularly clueless moments was when I was about 16 and at a summer intensive dance program where there were also student music and acting proograms. A guy came up to me asking for one of my ballet teachers and I spoke with him for about 10 minutes, he asked me about the program, the environment, how I liked it, etc. The whole time I was thinking how much the guy looked like William Hurt but it never crossed my mind that it was. Turned out not only was he there to teach a master class to the acting students, he'd been married to (and divorced) one of my ballet teachers and they had a kid together. Duh!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I haven't met alot of famous people, but there are a couple:

1. Joe Paterno (yes, the Penn State football coach). In the world of college football, he counts as famous, not so sure if that would be the case in the world at large.

2. I've met several members of the Backstreet Boys. Specifically, Howie Dorough, Brian Litrell and *sigh* Kevin Richardson. All are very handsome & super nice.
Brian - met hanging outside their hotel in Pittsburgh, PA during the Black & Blue World Tour
Howie - met at a benefit in Washington D.C.
Kevin - met him three times actually. First time was outside their hotel in Pittsburgh during the Black & Blue World Tour (yep same day I met Brian) and then 2x times when he played the role of Billy Flynn in the Broadway show "Chicago" in NYC. Got his autograph each time & in NYC got my picture taken with him.

The thing I noticed about all three of the Backstreet Boys, is no matter how many people were around wanting their attention, they made the person they were speaking to feel important for that moment.

My younger sister met Payne Stewart (RIP) at golf tournament. He signed a golf glove for her.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
•I have an autographed pic of Jimmy Stewart -- with a personal note thanking me for writing to him. I rec'd these just days prior to him passing away, so I've always wondered if I possess Jimmy Stewart's LAST official autograph.
AWESOME....he was the best!!

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
John Amos (Good Times) lives in my town, as does (did?) Joe Piscapo. Ran into both of them several times. Both really nice guys!
Can't say about Joe Piscapo, but I can second what Amy said about John Amos. He called our house a couple of times when we lived at camp- really nice guy. Also on the nice guy list- former NY Giants QB, Phil Simms. I met Eric Howard, too, but he wasn't as nice as Phil. Off the top of my head, other celebrities I've met- a bunch of the Harlem Globetrotters back in the early '80's, PBR riders Tater Porter and Sean Willingham and singer Lee Greenwood.
Anybody remember the lawyer William Kunsler? He had a summer/weekend home where I grew up and became friends with my parents. I may not have agreed with his views on things, but he was a heck of a guy. He'd give you the shirt off his back.

Hey, Amy, did I ever tell you someone who used to work at school lived in John Amos's house when she was kid? Obviously that was before he bought it.

EAT- :doh: Well, DUH I forgot Petra Ford and Tyler. Can't get more "famous" in the obedience world than the NOC2 team! LOL

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I have a good friend that is married to a former Detroit Red Wing, so I met most of the Red Wings at their wedding in 1997 or at one event or another before he got traded. I was consulting with a dental office in NYC, and Sarah Jessica Parker came in for an appointment while I was there (office was closed, she was the only patient . . . come to think of it same thing happened with Bill Gates when I was consulting with an office in Washington State). I was in an elevator with a lot of Washington Redskin players a few years ago when I was staying at the same hotel they were in, but no one I recognized.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
That is a great story about your Father Kate!

Here are a few of whom I have just seen in person or spoken with.

I saw a few in the Village my sister use to live in (in Surrey). Jarvis Cocker was her next door neighbor for a while, Chris Evans owns the pub in the neighboring village, Anthea Turner with Bovy in the village pub, Damon Hill in the neighboring village. And Jeremy Clarkson would buy a paper in the post office because the TopGear track was a few miles up the road.

I met Jeremy Drysdale who wrote the film Grand Theft Parsons staring Johnny Knoxville. Jeremy is a good friend of my sister and bro-in-law.

Got taken around Castle Combe race track by Richard Burns World Rally Driver who sadly died in 2005. He was a member of the Under Seventeens Driving Club in England during the same time as me.

Stood next to Brian May from Queen during a horse race meet one year. Also saw Mick Jagger at Heathrow last November.

Worked with Eric Sievers who played for ten NFL seasons from 1981-1990 for the Chargers, the Los Angeles Rams and the New England Patriots. He is a great guy.

My cousin, Kat Alano, is a Video Jock on MTV in the Philippines and hosts Filipino cable channel Cinema One’s VIP Pass.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I think it was 1971 and the guy I worked for asked me to accompany him to a party at the home of Senator Strom Thurmond. They were good friends. Must not of made much of an impression, because I don't remember much about it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts