Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that most people on here give their dogs rice when their tummies/digestion system are upset. A while ago when Bailey was sick the vet told me not to give her rice because even though it seems gentle, the grains act kind of like sand paper in their tract and can cause more irritation. She recommended feeding mashed potatoes (instant too if I wanted, as long as they were 100% potatoes) mixed with water or chicken broth.

That's what I did and it worked great for her. I'm just curious if anyone else has heard this or does it.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
hummm.....our vet recommended rice to us. It will be interesting to see how other ppl respond.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
There are some dog foods that have potato as an ingredient. The potato has to be cooked and if your dog has a problem with arthritis it could aggravate it. BTW peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant could have the same effect.
Olie

·
Registered
995 Posts
My vet recommends Minute Rice (no hulls) so the intestinal tract is not irritated. Its the hulls (unprocessed rice) that irritates their system.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
My vet recommends rice. I use Minute rice & it has worked well. It feels pretty soft.

My girls do like the occasional left over mashed potatoes they get. :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
minute rice here too, I would be interested in trying the mashed potatoes though

·
Registered
453 Posts
gabbys mom said:
my vet likes science diet i/d actually- the third option!
Ditto my vet recommends Hills Science i/d it works a treat really quick I always keep some tins in now just in case. :) but I will give Mashed potatoe a go next time. Which will probably be sooner rather than later knowing Saska

1 - 16 of 16 Posts