Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been soooo busy. I have finals coming up in school and tons of papers due at the end of the semester. I have this upcoming move to St. Louis to plan for and worry about. Delilah has adrenal cancer and I'm always trying to make sure she is doing alright. I am constantly out walking apollo, keeping him entertained, etc. I've got weasel cages to clean, a house to maintain, and an article on raw diets for ferrets to complete. I've been super busy and somehow in all the mix up I haven't been able to pay as much attention to hendrix as I used to. He's a mamma's boy and LOVES to snuggle, but I've been so busy lately that I haven't been giving him the cuddle time that he needs.

Well I've been worried about him lately cuz he's been acting 'funny' and when a ferret is acting funny, it usualy means something serious ($eriou$, get my drift?) Well today I went to go play with Hend and he was ignoring me. He wasn't looking at me and he was in a bad mood lol! I realized the reason he wasn't "feeling well" was because he was mad at me for not paying enough attention to him. Poor guy! lol! Well after a whole evening of cuddling, he finally "forgave me" he gave me a bunch of kisses and then squirmed to get outta my arms like "ok mama, i forgive you, now leave me alone already! lol"

Silly ferret! Gosh, sometimes having all these animals certainly is a juggling act. I love it, but its so easy to get distracted and not balance out the attention right. Its gunna be nice having the whole summer to spend with these little dudes. I can't wait to be outta school and spending the summer with my kiddos.

Just a funny story I thought I'd share lol. BTW Hend was acting really jealous of apollo and Delilah and he kept "hitting" them. No joke. He goes up to apollo sits up on his hind legs and "punches" apollo on the paws! gosh, sometimes I feel like i've got a house full of toddlers! Im always yelling at one of the animals to "leave their brother/sister alone. Stop fighting! don't make me come over there!" hehehe

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Apollo's "baby brother" was mad at mommy today lol

He's actually quite cuddly. He normally is really happy go lucky, not hyper like lugnut, but when he was acting all upset I knew something was wrong. lol he's a mama's boy so when he was being nicer to his "daddY' then he was to me, I was like, "hell no! What is going on here?" lol!

Having a bunch of animals is a blast, there are some days where I wish I could just come home and not worry about walking the dog, or letting the ferrets out to play, or scooping the cat litter box. But I can't imagine my life without em.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts

That is pretty cute! I love it when they get mad at you (well, not literally, but it's so cute sometimes how they take it out on you) When I went to PEI last summer for 2 weeks, Abby wouldn't even look at me when I got home. She spent two days sitting with her back to me too before she went back to normal.

G

·

Animal house and animal stories..LUV IT! There must never be a dull moment in your household ;D I wish I could be there in person to observe all the fun and pranks your pets do :D

·
Registered
16,472 Posts

LOL...I wouldn't get anything done if I had all the animals you have. I'd have them entertain me ALL day.

Semi off topic: I'm ferret-ignorant, so please educate me. Do your ferrets know tricks and/or commands? Are they potty trained?

Love it when you described how Hend was hitting Apollo. LOL

·
Registered
7,664 Posts

I bet it is hard to juggle everyone's needs when you have so many pets. Sounds like you're attuned to them all, though. It sounds like life in your house is pretty entertaining.

I loved the part about Hend hitting Apollo and Delilah. I've never had a lot of interest in ferrets, but since seeing your siggy pic, I've found myself thinking about them and wondering if I should consider getting one in the future in lieu of a kitty. Hmmm...

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Haha there is NEVER a dull moment in this house!

zoesmom said:
LOL...I wouldn't get anything done if I had all the animals you have. I'd have them entertain me ALL day.

Semi off topic: I'm ferret-ignorant, so please educate me. Do your ferrets know tricks and/or commands? Are they potty trained?

Love it when you described how Hend was hitting Apollo. LOL
Thats ok, lol I didn't know much about ferrets before I got mine either.Yes, my crew is potty trained. They have a litter box. They have accidents sometimes, they aren't 100% trainable like cats, but they are very smart

Since we are all dog people, here are some suprising ways that ferrets are very similar to dogs:

1.) They wag their tails (not as often as dogs, but sometimes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxNg37ihdGQ&mode=related&search=

2.) Like dogs, they can either eat a kibble diet or a raw food diet (4 of my 6 eat a raw/natural diet).

3.) Ferrets need a rabies vaccination by law in many areas, just like dogs. It is also reccomended to give them a distemper vaccine as well.

4.) My ferrest are all spayed/neutered just like a responsible dog owner would do.

5.) My little ones wear collers and ID tags at all times in case they are ever lost. They are also all microchipped.

6.) Many ferrets know their names and know how to sit and stand. They can do tricks, just like dogs, although they aren't as eager to do them as a dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXUr-wM40ZE&mode=related&search=

7.) When they are babies they nip sometimes like puppies.

8.) The like to chase cats.

http://samsonanddelilah.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album02&id=P1010007_001

9.) They are extremely loyal to their owners, often to the point that if seperated from their owners, they will shut down and die.

10.) The love toys toys toys! and some even like to play fetch!!!

11.) They go for walks (but must wear a harness)

12.) Although illegal in the USA, in England many ferret owners go hunting with their ferrets. This sport is called "ferreting" and involves the ferret chasing rabbits from their burrows into nets

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ferreter/f-sport.htm

13.) Just like dogs, you can get ferrets from a petstore (puppy/ferretmill), a reputable breeder, a byb, or a ferret specific resuce

Rescue:
http://www.dookieshouse.org/

This is a raw breeder, she raises all kits on a natural diet (just like some dog breeders!)
http://www.hillcrestferrets.com/

14.) Ferrets live in a large cage, but really it should only act as a crate does for a dog. they should be out of their cage for long amounts of time.

Here is my kids version of a "crate"

Entrance to the remote litter box from the cage:

Tube connecting tub to cage:

Hendrix shows off his remote litter box

15.) They play bitey face

16.) just like dog shows, there are ferret shows. I am going to one in Ohio on August 28th.

But unlike dogs:[/u]

-They sleep around 18 hours a day (actually DO dogs sleep this much???)
-They only live 6-8 years (although some can live 10-15 years)
-They use a litter box
-60-80% of them will get adrenal cancer and require Expen$ive $urgery.

What I love about ferrets is that they act like a kitten/puppy their entire lives. They are small, portable, funny, and highly intellegent. They form tight bonds to other ferrets, animals, and people. And they can be convinetly stowed in a large cage for most of the day. They are unique, amusing, and HIGHLY entertaining

·
Registered
16,472 Posts

Wow, thanks for taking the time to post the reply and pic and vid clips. Very interesting, indeed!

Love the standing up vid and the crawling through the tube (w/the tail wag)!! Too much. :D

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

lol, they certainly are interesting little critters. Much more like dogs/cats then anyone would imagine. They ARE NOT rodents (altough many peeps mistakenly think they are ::) ) They aren't vicious, they aren't wild animals either (they've been domesticated for 2,500 years OR MORE hehe (bethca didn't know that!) If a ferret gets out into the wild, it will die. Unlike dogs/cats they CAN"T go feral, without humans they have no idea how to survive!

Many ferrets get along great with cats and dogs (however you should always supervise dog/ferret interaction because compared to a ferret dogs are HUGE lol). My house wouldn't be the same without em. If raised together a puppy/ferret can grow to bond with eachother:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8509730641106416830

Oh and if you thought that standing up was funny, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXUr-wM40ZE&mode=related&search=

·
Registered
16,472 Posts

Loved the first one when the ferret was trying to wake up the puppy. LOL

2nd one: gosh...they are trainable.

thanks again.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

lol you're welcome. I actually just re-posted an old post of mine and added some extra videos, pics. So it was no biggie.

Apolllo LOVES the ferrets. I wonder what it would have been like if he was raised with them. Some people have dogs that end up thinking they are ferrets lol. Ferrets normally do well in pairs (or groups). Some people don't bother buying a friend for their ferret cuz their ferret is so attached to the dog! lol!

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Re: **Revised to add pics- Apollo's "baby brother" was mad at mommy today lol

Those videos are so cute. :D I appreciate you posting all the info on ferrets, too!

Now I'm thinking I do want one...

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

lol, just do your homework. They are alot more high maintenance then cats (and expensive too) but if you can handle that you sholud be fine. Its very much like having a 2 year old human come into your home lol. They sure are fun though. Most important thing is to never leave em unsupervised with the dog. the dog(s) and the ferret can play, but ONLY under close supervision. It only takes one chomp from the dog for the ferret to get seriously hurt.

WARNING! Ferrets are HIGHLY addictive. You think. "oh! one is so much fun, just think what a blast two would be!" then its "well what could it hurt to get ONE more" then its "well now there is always a ferret left out when they play, can't have that, one more ferret I promise!" hehe its called ferret math (the ability of ferrets to rapidly multiply despite the fact that they are all spayed and neutrered) hehe

if you ARE seriously considering getting one, PM me and I can direct you to shelters and breeders in your area. and answer any questions you have. feel free to ask ?'s even if you aren't serious about one but you are still curious.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts

Thank you so much! I'm now pondering...

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Hehe beware, pondering can be dangerous! look what happened to me! I got my first ferret last october, now I have SIX (and counting! hehe).

Ferrets are very hard not to fall in love with. You'd never expect so much personality outta such a small animal, but boy they sure are expressive!

If your pondering leads you down the path of insanity (ferret ownership haha) I'd reccomend doing a TON of online reaseach, reading the book ferrets for dummies, and calling up local ferret rescues. Unfourtunately these little dudes are often purchased at petstores by people who don't know what they are getting into. so many ferrets live out their lives in shelters, its really sad. These playful, mischievious creatures shouldn't have to spend their lives with out a "mommy" or "daddy" they REALLY bond to you (no matter what age you adopt them at) and they just run off with a piece of your heart (and hide it under the couch, along with your remote control and your car keys [ferrets are hoarders lol]) Like I said, if you've got questions, just PM me or ask em here and I can help ya.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts

It sounds like you are a great Mom to all your babies I love the set-up you have for the remote litter box they all look so cozy in thier little houses and they are all so very cute :)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

lol thanks a bunch. They are my pride and joy lol. I cant shut up about them (or apollo or the kitties)

·
Registered
16,472 Posts

I have one more question about your ferrets.
Do they each have a favorite ferret pal? I notice the cage set up..I wonder if they sleep w/the same pal, play pretty much w/the same one...

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Yes! Ferrets often bond in pairs. Here is how my group is bonded:

Lugnut and Hendrix
Willow and Weezie
Samson and Delilah

They all get along with each other, but they also have their own special "friend".

Delilah is very ill (she has terminal adrenal cancer) when she passes away I am worried that her cage mate, Samson, will take it really hard. If he gets too depressed the vet will need to put him on anti-depressants. Ferrets get VERY attached to eachother and to their owenrs. Some ferrets even grieve when a family pet, such as a cat, passes away.

Good question.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts