Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we just got back from our show. It was Simon's day to go today. Angus is tomorrow.

I tried to keep as positive as possible. My mentor talked with me before going in the ring: His advice, what he says he is trying to work on, is keeping things in the ring as much like practice as possible. For Simon, that means lots of praise, smiling and reinforcement. He is very sensitive and soft, and becomes disheartened very easily if he thinks he's not doing well.

So I made sure to give him lots of smiles, and lots of petting and loving in between exercises (without holding things up, of course).

He bobbled a few moves, and so did I. He missed a couple of sits, came in a little crooked on his front, and his goober Mom stopped heeling before the judge said halt. :no: I also didn't speed up as much as I usually would for the "fast." I just sort of tippy-toed through that one...because the "fast" was headed right out of the ring gate. :scared: Oh, that scared me plenty. Not as much as it would with Angus, but Simon has darted on me once before too, and you just never know.

Then came the stays. This is the part I was really nervous about. Simon has a very sloppy sit that melts right into a down at the drop of a hat. I walked to the other side of the ring, and for the first time it felt like my heart was going to beat right out of my chest. Two of the dogs got up almost immediately and went to their owners. And then there were three.

You know the prayer: "Please, buddy, PLEASE, just hang in there. Just a few more seconds. You can do it. You're doing so good. Don't lay down. Don't lay down."

And then sits were over. I smiled like I had just won the lottery at him. GOOD BOY! GOOD BOY! GOOD BOY! I tried to say it as loud as I could with just a facial expression.

Downs. Finally. Never been a problem for Simon. Three minutes sure does seem like forever in a trial, though. Much longer than in practice.

We finished downs and I came back to him with another huge smile. Instead of jumping up when released, as Angus always does, Simon rolled over: "Rub my belly Mom." :laugh:

So, only three of us qualified. Simon got a 185. Not the best score, but good enough! FIRST PLACE!!!!!

YAY SIMON!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
YAY SIMON INDEED!!!! First place! <<<ovation>>>

Hadda laugh at the dogs who broke. When Wes titled, the dogs on BOTH SIDES OF HIM broke. And I believe one or two other dogs went as well. So there was Wes, alllllll the way at the end of the row, without a single dog near him. And he kept looking at me like "WTF, Dad? WHY am I here all by myself?"

I praised him like there was no tomorrow when I finally returned to him.

You're right. Those three minutes can feel like HOURS.

Congrats again.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
What could be better than for mommy to get a kiss!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dweck said:
YAY SIMON INDEED!!!! First place! <<<ovation>>>

Hadda laugh at the dogs who broke. When Wes titled, the dogs on BOTH SIDES OF HIM broke. And I believe one or two other dogs went as well. So there was Wes, alllllll the way at the end of the row, without a single dog near him. And he kept looking at me like "WTF, Dad? WHY am I here all by myself?"

I praised him like there was no tomorrow when I finally returned to him.

You're right. Those three minutes can feel like HOURS.

Congrats again.
Oh, wow! Way to go Wes!

Yeah, Simon definitely watched when those other dogs broke. :laugh: But you know, both of mine actually do a better job on stays when something like that happens. I'm not really sure why this is. The curse for them is to get bored out there. If there is a "show" to watch, they are fine.

I think it might have something to do with all the distraction training I did with them, especially Angus. For the first year or two of his life, he never did a stay without some kind of show. I think I may have told you this before. ;) I threw balls at him, danced for him, ran circles around him, jumped over him. Always something, for every stay. What I did not take into account was, when you are at an actual trial, none of that is likely to happen. :D So when he first started competing I think he would get really bored and figure, "Well, there's nothing here to watch or do, and Mom is just standing there with her arms folded, so we must be done."
:laugh:

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Love the pictures. Congratulations.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
BAhahahahahahah!!!

"C'mon, Mom. At least JUGGLE something!!! Sheesh!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

One thing I also learned w/Wes is that I COULD NOT LOOK HIM IN THE EYE as I returned. I would look just BEHIND him, at his tail, as I walked back. For some reason, that eye contact said to him RECALL, and he'd come bounding to me.....

These are long-ago stories, now. Just as enjoyable, but way in his past. I don't think Wes has been in a ring in, gosh, 2-3 years. At creeping up alarmingly on nine years old and turning grayer by the year, he's definitely enjoying his retirement.

·
Registered
869 Posts
congratulations! see... I told you ... you would do fine. It works.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Woohoo!!! Congrats Connie and Simon! :D

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Congrats Connie!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts