Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We Amber did much better than I did again. We lost 1 point on heeling and F8, 1/2 point on DOR (front), 1 1/2 points on Retrieve (She didn't watch me throw it and thought a leaf was the DB and so ran a curve to the DB, also a crooked front), Retrieve over high lost a point for a tick and a 1/2 for a crooked front, Broad jump was a 1/2 point crooked front. So we ended with a 195. After groups they called us back (I thought for awards) and as I walked into the ring they asked me my number then they took my leash?!?!? Oh crap I was in a run off!!! I wish I had known before I stepped into the ring...lol We did the heeling pattern again and then they called in another team, then they called in another team, then they called in one last team.. Turns out there was a tie for 1st and a tie for 3rd. It was suspenseful waiting as they called the placements. The good news is we won our very first run off and got 1st place. We are now 2 for 2 in Open A both with 1sts. Hopefully our luck will hold out for tomorrow and we will get one more leg for our title.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Congratulations!!! Good luck tomorrow!!!!

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I'm really happy for you guys, but I am so jealous that I can hardly read your posts on how well you are doing. I'm not sure I'll ever get Emiu in the Open ring again, and I'm just feeling a little sad.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm really happy for you guys, but I am so jealous that I can hardly read your posts on how well you are doing. I'm not sure I'll ever get Emiu in the Open ring again, and I'm just feeling a little sad.
Don't be too jealous, she got her CD at 15 months of age and I thought it would be a cinch to train her for open, we spent over 1 1/2 years trying various ways to get a simple drop on recall with no luck. I gave up completely on obedience and after her elbow injury we started swimming at a Hunt test field. I got involved with people there and started training her for hunt tests. At some point it became really obvious that the "sit on whistle" was something she understood very well and in just a few tries I had her doing downs in the field. the drop on recall was then pretty much done. Bush drills became both retrieve over high and broad jump, retrieve on flat was a no brainer, honor became groups, heeling was done to and from the line. So when I say it took 6-8 weeks to train thats only in a formal obedience sence, we actually did all the field training for about 8 months. Because we were training something totally different there was no pressure on us to do it. Don't give up just train something different, I find its all connected eventually.

Kelly and Amber

1 - 9 of 9 Posts