Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we brought Zeus home Saturday when I had them meet I took some food to see how they did around each other eating. Mocha showed a little hesitation but went ahead and ate then tried to get Zeus's food but I told her to leave it and waited for him to eat. He's a polky eater. I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue. She doesn't guard it with me at all but she's never had another dog around when she's eating. Well last night I gave them each a treat while I sat down to watch tv for a bit and relax. Mocha lifted her lip a bit and growled a little when Zeus would come around her. I corrected verbally and she stopped. She did it again later so I corrected her again and took her treat from her. She sat down and settled so I gave it back. She's been doing it when I go to feed them too she's not snapped at him yet but is showing her teeth and growling.

How do I correct her for this? It's totally unacceptable but I don't want to make it worse by correcting her wrong now I've just been verbally correcting her with AHAH which she knows as "stop that" but what else can I do. I don't want it escelating.

TIA

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Barb, are either one of them crated at all? If so, I would feed one in the crate in another room. I've done that with Frankie since day one, otherwise he'll eat Tuckers food and Tuck will sit back and let him.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have crates for both of them but Mocha's not been crated for a while. We are crating Zeus since his house breaking is not 100%. I thought about feeding him in there and might have to try that tonight. What about with kongs and such I hate to not be able to give them treats but I don't want to give it a chance to escelate.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I think I would start off by feeding him in his crate. As far as treats, what you can try, make them both sit as you get a couple of treats. Give Mocha a treat first and then Zeus. Do that a couple of times a day. I'd do this for at least of couple of days and then try to give them a kong at the same time.
:)

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try that I've been feeding Mocha first and giving her treats first hoping it would help but I am not sure if it's the right thing to do. I'll try to feed him in his crate tonight but I'm not sure he'll eat. So far when I've given him a treat he waits to eat it until I let him out of the crate ??? Mocha used to do that too. I'm pleased with the way he's going in the crate though so far he just follows the treat in. He was crate trained as a pup but it's been over a year since he's been crated and they had a pet porter type crate instead of wire one like I have.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
He'll be fine, so will Mocha. You'll see. :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
I am going through this same thing at my house. Our vet recommended feeding them separately, so what I've been doing is separating them with a baby gate when they are eating. The vet said that I could gradually move the food bowls closer together so that eventually they are right next to each other with the gate still separating them, just in case. In the future, you should be able to remove the gate and they should be comfortable eating next to each other.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,
I think I'll try feeding him in his crate a few days until Mocha gets a little more used to him being here then maybe I can try moving them a little closer over time.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
i would have several short sessions of food handouts, where both dogs sit or lay down next to each other (doesn't have to be close) and take turns getting small portions of food from you. this way, they learn about waiting and taking turns, and you reinforce the idea that that food come from you, and YOU decide who gets the food, and that nice behaviors around the food earns them rewards of praise and food. like you said, mocha is not used to having another dog around when she eats, so having these short little practice sessions may be helpful for her. the sessions should be low stress, low pressure, lots of praise, and lots of food. :)

also, zeus going around mocha or staring at her as she is eating is not good manners on his part. to me, growling is not unacceptable canine behavior. it is rather a very good communication method for dogs to try to avoid fights. if zeus is the instigator, i would work on training him to leave mocha alone whether she is eating from her bowl or enjoying a long lasting treat.

keeping them separated whenever food is around would be a very easy solution as well. this way, there is no need to correct a dog or worry about a potential fight.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zeus isn't messing with Mocha when she's eating though she's doing it when we're getting ready to eat. We have a pretty set routien so she knows when it's time and when I go to get their food is when she's doing it mainly. I make her sit and wait as I put her food and G/C in her bowl and then release her. Zeus has been standing by his bowl on the other side of the table. She was also doing it a little when I gave them kongs last night. Then Zeus was going around her treat some but only when she was leave it to go try to get his.

I'll work on the feeding sessions and feeding them from my hand. Mocha's used to getting all the treats and attention so I can see how this hard for her hopefully she can learn to share.

BTW Mocha will give me any treat or toy she has in her mouth and I can take her food away and pet her during feedings anytime.

D

·
0 Posts
I agree that Mocha needs to establish a relationship with Zeus that is independent of your management of it. She may not have to go any farther than a lifted lip or a growl to address his infringement on her space/stuff.

I have an older shepherd and a year old lab. I got the lab when he was 6 months old and my girl was 9. The older dog has had to correct the younger dog on a number of occasions. She has essentially "taught" him what are acceptable behaviors in her world. He sits 5 feet away from her when she is eating. He would not dare to step closer until she walks into the next room. They happily share water - a low value item. I do feed them at the same time and in the same room, but if Diesel was not so respectful of her - he would undoubtedly barge in and try to scoff down her food as well.

There have been times where she has sounded very harsh when correcting him - but she has never injured him. Most older dogs won't hurt a younger dog in this process of indoctrination. He gets the message and is very, very respectful of her. Which is important since he is now much bigger than she and could hurt her if he was so inclined.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So should I just watch her and not correct her? I know I've heard to let them work it out before but I just wasn't sure about this because it seams more like resource guarding which I don't want. She's never snapped at him just growled so far.

I would rather fix the problem then mask it by putting him in a seperate room but I will seperate them if it's better. I want to be able to give them both a kong and not have to worry about them getting into it over them is that asking too much? She does share her kongs with Smeagol it's really cute because they both finish theirs then she puts hers on the couch for him and takes his it's cute.

Thanks for the opinions I'm just not sure how big of a problem it is and if it's likley to escelate or if they will work it out on their own.

D

·
0 Posts
bacatherine said:
So should I just watch her and not correct her? I know I've heard to let them work it out before but I just wasn't sure about this because it seams more like resource guarding which I don't want. She's never snapped at him just growled so far.

I would rather fix the problem then mask it by putting him in a seperate room but I will seperate them if it's better. I want to be able to give them both a kong and not have to worry about them getting into it over them is that asking too much? She does share her kongs with Smeagol it's really cute because they both finish theirs then she puts hers on the couch for him and takes his it's cute.

Thanks for the opinions I'm just not sure how big of a problem it is and if it's likley to escelate or if they will work it out on their own.
JMO, But it if were my dogs, I would let them work it out to a degree. If she is snarling, growling , chasing him out of the room while being nasty --- that all seems like a reasonable response to whatever was his offense to her. If she seems to be just hassling him for kicks - or if it becomes a dog fight- then she may need some correction at that point. But ultimately they need to be able to be left alone without mom being the referree.

Honestly sometimes Diesel does something to Lucy that is hardly visible to me -- but clearly crosses the line with her -- and she has chased him off with a roar that puts his tail between his legs. I have stopped her when I feel she is being a little too punative, but I know that when they are alone in the house, they have a mutual understanding -- he will respect her and she will ignore him. ;D

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks she is doing much better already maybe it was just her getting used to him last night and this morning she didn't do it at all she just ate her food then walked away and let him eat his :D
Other than that I left them alone last night and they did fine Mocha had a few growlies but not bad and Zeus seamed to get the picture. Sometimes it's so hard to tell if she's trying to play or wants him to leave her alone. I think she may be playing because when he walks away she goes back up to him.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Glad to hear it Barb. I figured they would work it out amongst themselves. :)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Good... I'm glad they are adjusting. More often than not, they will work it out themselves and not need any intervention.
It's got to be tough on both dogs...so much to get used to.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know it's a big adjustment for them both I hope we're doing the right thing for them both. I took Mocha for a walk by herself last night and try to give her some extra one on one time with me. I am trying to get Zeus into a training class so I'll have some one on one time with him then too.

Thanks for all the advice I think it will work out well just take some getting used to for all of us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts