Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So last year, with the addition of Remy, we fenced in our back yard. You may recall some of those early summer pictures with my puppies posed on lush green lawn...

No more. :mad: Between the digging, the pulling up of roots and Brooklyn indulging her inner-goat, our yard is a disaster. I wouldn't care so much if they kept it to one corner...preferably in the back...But their lawn destruction (and I won't even get into the tree bark removal or the forsythia bush trimming) is all over the place - a particularly huge swath right in front of the deck. And the mud they are traipsing in the house is just illegal.

It is unreasonable for me to try to reseed this spring? I'm thinking if we walked them twice a day in the neighborhood and only allowed them out back on leash (which will SUCK for me at lunch time) we might get some semblance of a yard back....or am I being ridiculous?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I feel so bad for you, I have similar issues.

We don't get a lot of sun in our backyard and it is hard getting shade grass to grow back there. Add one dog that likes to use it as a race track (Eddie) Fanny, who has her own special bathroom in the corner by the gate and JJ (ShihTzu) who tries very hard to keep up with Eddie AND the SD"S pup (GSD/PB mix) I KNOW I have no hope of grass back there. SU is going to try again........................

Whatever you decide, GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Let me take a picture of my backyard today for you...it's a disaster. Mostly from them running around, the grass just disappeared. *poof*

Oh and how they love to dig in the mud! *cough*macy*cough* We're going to reseed in a couple of weeks, cover seed with hay and pray.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Must be a GOLDEN retriever thing, cuz my backyard with 3 labs is gorgeous.

Someone told me I'm gonna go to hell for lying...

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We have never had a particularly nice lawn anyway (lots of weeds and a mole issue). But, OMG Bauer has now decided to start digging up the mole tunnels. If I leave him out for more than a couple of minutes alone he has found a mole tunnel to dig up. I might just have to learn to like mud. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Kiss the yard goodbye. I can't let mine out in our backyard unless we want them in the pool; because of the layout it can't really be fenced and they tore up two expensive poolcovers. I also worry about them getting trapped under the covers once they have torn them up.

So I walk them. Three times a day. Every day. Rain or shine. Sick or well, and it's been mostly sick lately.

It sucks. It sucks early in the a.m. when it's cold and wet, and it sucks late at night when its dark and cold and frequently wet. Screw the grass and the mud. I envy you your crappy grass and your mud.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Mine dont dig but you can see the bare bits where they have walked up and down fence line and certain bald patches, it drives me insane! So this year we are fencing half the garden off so we always have some nice lawn for the kids and the dogs can use it while the grass is growing and then in winter the gate will be shut and dogs will be on a patio/gravel area

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
My recommendation for out there?

Carpet!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Wow...you guys make Teddy sound like an angel. And here I am perpetually bitching about him rolling in the yard and coming in covered with grass bits...that's probably the worst he's done. We laid sod and that got rid of any potential mud problems. They aren't outside enough to make tracks or trample down the grass so far...but it's dormant right now (bermuda). Hopefully it will all come up this summer. We are probably going to re-seed with a shade loving grass as part of the yard doesn't get much sun.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Seed with weeds. They're very hardy. That's what we've done. Well, the yard took care of it itself, we've just never been able to de-weed it.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I'd like to do clover but SOMEONE

*cough cough MY HUSBAND*

just won't agree to it.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
We have never had a particularly nice lawn anyway (lots of weeds and a mole issue). But, OMG Bauer has now decided to start digging up the mole tunnels. If I leave him out for more than a couple of minutes alone he has found a mole tunnel to dig up. I might just have to learn to like mud. :rolleyes:
i have moles too...zoe and zena brought me several last summer....one was still alive that she deposited on the couch!!!

i got rid of all my grass in the backyard...some grass, some weeds; mostly dirt. i have mulch, a few flower beds and river rock. best thing I ever did; except mulch = ground worms = more moles = more lab digging activity.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
When I bought Wooserie House I had all kinds of plans for some pretties in the back yard. Nothing major, just some pretty grasses here and there.

Four years later? I am SO glad I didn't waste the money and effort. It's a dog yard, pure and simple. The bamboo stand is always gorgeous, the grass in front of it nice and thick. But beneath the ancient oak tree and pine tree where the main dog path is? Forget it. Between the oak, the pine and the six dogs, it will remain bare earth.

But they are happy and it is their yard, so there we go. :)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
We've reseeded our yard at least 4x (the whole yard once then big spots that didn't fill in several other times) It comes in great but after a few months it's toast. It just doesn't get a good enough root system I guess to handle the abuse and weather. Plus our yard doens't get much sun which makes it harder too. It stinks because it's always muddy especially right off the deck and drives me crazy.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
It is unreasonable for me to try to reseed this spring? I'm thinking if we walked them twice a day in the neighborhood and only allowed them out back on leash (which will SUCK for me at lunch time) we might get some semblance of a yard back....or am I being ridiculous?
You could, as long as the benefits outweigh the costs for you.

We gave up on our yard years ago. It looks ok in the spring when the grass starts growing again, but during winter/autumn it is just gross. A toilet for the dogs mainly. No one in my family is dedicated enough for three walks a day (yes, we are lazy -- one or two a day is plenty!) so although doing that probably could 'save' our yard, it is not really worth it for the hassle factor. I would cope in warmer months but during the windy/rainy/cold crappy months, no chance!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts