Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next year Sam will be four years old. I've been reading about local Colorado breeders and have found 2 or 3 that seem very promising. I want another puppy strictly for a pet and have no aspirations for breeding (had to get that out of the way :) )

I'm torn between selecting the lab puppy of my choice or getting a rescue lab. I'm thrilled for each Just Labs person who gets a beautiful new puppy that they have carefully chosen from a breeder.

Am I selfish to want to go the puppy route?

Julie

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
No, youre not selfish. You are entitled to get the exact kind of puppy you want.

This is how I reconcile your struggle within my own conscience.

First, we do have a rescue dog. He will be 15 in Sept. I support rescues, financially, with transport when I can, and fostering if it's the right situation and in any other ways I can. I buy from their stores, enter raffles, send emails, etc.
So you can do both. Most of the reputable breeders are staunch allies of rescues and support them in many ways.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I really do feel that contributing in any way I can to the rescue cause is the way I can help with all the labs and dogs out there that so desparately needs homes. I think about those dogs often, especially when Dani and Joe talk about the dogs they help. They are our true angels.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
That is a good question and one I struggled with last year when researching and deciding to get a dog. One reason I wanted a puppy from a good breeder was to tip the scales in Tal's favor about temperament, health and such. That paid off handsomly.

Like WeheartLabs said, breeders support rescues and that is important. I am hoping to get a second dog in the next year or two and am seriously considering a rescue. You should feel comfortable with whatever you decide and enjoy your new furkid, whether a puppy or a rescue. there are pros and cons to both but with proper training, love and patience, either way you'll have a loving, loyal companion for life.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
No, you're not selfish. You should get the dog or puppy that you want.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Nope, you are not selfish. I am a rescuer and I got a dog from a breeder because I wanted to show in conformation. I love each foster dog with all of my heart, and I get excited to hear updates after they leave, but they were meant to brighten other's lives, not mine. I will probably one day own one of my rescues that I just can't part with. Rider was my first dog that I did everything wrong (purchasing wise) with. He's pet bred, but I wouldn't trade him for the world. You have to be happy.

Rescues can be just as full filling as dogs from great breeders. Do your research on both.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Colo Sammie - Since I'm in Colorado too, I was wondering what breeers you've found around here you like. I'm also not sure where I'll get my next dog. I got Neiko from a small breeder in Buena Vista.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I really struggled with this exact thing...

I volunteer at the SPCA a great deal, and felt totally selfish for getting a brand new pup from a breeder. We have loved Baloo since before he was even born, and so many of the dogs I deal with have never known any kind of love, and they could be years and years old! :eek:

So I carried a lot of guilt every time I went in and had to look at all of their pleading faces... ugh sooo heart wrenching. :'(

BUT, I have cats. I have a little dog, and a b/f who is uncomfortable (not afraid, but uneasy) around large dogs he doesn't know. Combine that with the fact that we really wanted that "lab" temperament without all the health problems that "mis-bred" labs can have... and we decided to go the puppy-route.

I don't regret it, and I feel a lot better about it now, but it did take awhile! :)

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I agree with the others, you are not being selfish! There is nothing wrong with you wanting to get your perfect little puppy from a good breeder. There are so many ways to help rescues. The local rescue I am close to here is so appreciative of help in any form.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
You know, you could always rescue a puppy and have it both ways. :)

I agree, you should go with your heart on a decision as big as this.

I will probably always have rescues. I think part of it is that I know I would have a hard time living with the guilt of not having taken one in who was really in need. That's just me...I have a hard time letting go of things sometimes, especially guilt. :-[

This is a big part of it for me as well, I think: I love a good "rags to riches" story. Cinderella syndrome. One of my most favorite things in life is to make something from nothing. :)

My ancestors were peasants, farmers, etc. There is not a drop of "blue" blood in my veins ;) So finally, I guess I relate to the common dog, the mutt. :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for your responses. I'm not surprised that this has been a delimma to others on here. We all love dogs. You are MY kind of peeps. :D

Rileygirl--

I've just been window shopping, but....

Bear Creek Labs of colorado have proven field labs with every gorgeous shade of yellow.

Rio Rock Labs - English-Bench labs - beautiful comformation

T-Bar Country labs - also English

Julie

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I love rescue dogs, but they are alot of work (many had previous owners that never bothered to train them, traumatized, etc) Apollo is the greatest. To be honest I'm glad a didn't get a puppy. Call me lazy, but puppies are too much...work. Yeah, they are cute but I love that older dogs are usually trained and all that.

Another reason why Sam and I adopted from a shelter was because it was MUCH cheaper and the cost of spay/neuter was very cheap and in most cases its already done for you before you adopt. Which ever way you choose to go don't feel bad. Go with your heart. But don't forget that rescues need support too, wheter its monetary, fostering, emotional support, transport etc, every little bit helps.

They aren't dogs, but this does relate....I have 1 ferret that is from a petstore and the rest are rescues. Sam and I are thinking of getting two ferrets from a breeder next spring. Yeah, I felt bad about it at first, but in addition to supporting rescues I also think its important to support breeders who do wonders for improving the breed/species.

As long as you are buying from a breeder that is IMPROVING the breed, I see nothing 'wrong' with it. Go with your heart.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Connie...I come from a humble background mix of German and Norweigan. I inherited my love for animals from my Norweigan grandmother. I often think I'm more at home with animals than humans.

My first horse as a kid was an Arab/Quarterhorse cross who had more stamina and courage that any purebred I've ever met.

My dog before Sammie was a malumute/wolf cross who looked like white fang but was so gentle she picked up and brought one of my son's hamsters and placed it in my lap, slightly slobbered on. She was my first heart dog.

I guess I have now become a breed enthusiast and I have learned so much about labs since the day I purchased Sammie from a breeder impulsively 3 years ago.

Sammy has a wonderful temperament and he would be the best older brother for a puppy who has so much to learn about being a dog.

I realize I lucked out with Sam...that some breeders don't breed for both looks and temperament. I want to shop for both attributes this time.

I want the joy of a chosen pup this time...but if I lose one of my babies, I want my next dog to be a rescue.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Even something as simple as when you buy your crew toys, buy a couple for a rescue.
I know SPARRO- Joe's rescue, welcomes toys, supplies, anything like that. Buy an extra pack of Interceptor and send it to one of the rescues, or HeartGuard. If youre not using your crate anymore, the rescues LOVE to get them.
My DH is always picking crates out of the trash, bringing them home for me to clean then giving them to the rescue. There's so so many ways to help and of course the BEST way of all is to rescue one of their pups, foster for them OR send $$$$.
most have paypal accounts now to make it really easy.

G

·
Go with your heart. I wanted a rescue because I didn't have the time to properly train or housebreak a puppy, and I have a soft spot for rescued dogs. I got Billie with all the "options": housebroken, spayed, beginning obedience training, etc. ;D She was fully loaded and ready to go, and I had a personality baseline to boot - journals of her days and how she interacted with other dogs and people. She was perfect for me.

If a pup from a reputable breeder is what speaks to your heart and fits into your family best, go with it.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
All I will say about those breeders you listed is I would be careful. They have a LOT of dogs but don't do anything with them. Sorry but there is no such thing as "National Champion" or "National Puppy Champion".

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Labby, even though I'm probably going to buy a pet quality dog, is there a place on line that rates or reviews breeders? Should I ask for references? Is it politically correct to ask to see showing awards, etc. when you visit the breeders?

Do you have an article on your web site about ways to analyze/evaluate a prospective breeder?

Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Weheartlabs...you are so right...there are so many ways to help out. My favorite rescue right now is Safe Harbor Lab Rescue here in Colorado. I give to their help fund and try to go to their events. What a great rescue group. They have 2 black 4 month old female lab puppies right now on their site. Connie has a good point about a rescue pup. :D

G

·
Colo Sammie said:
Weheartlabs...you are so right...there are so many ways to help out. My favorite rescue right now is Safe Harbor Lab Rescue here in Colorado. I give to their help fund and try to go to their events. What a great rescue group. They have 2 black 4 month old female lab puppies right now on their site. Connie has a good point about a rescue pup. :D
If you can get a pup from Safe Harbor, that would rock. I so wanted to get my dog from them but they wouldn't adopt out of state. I was bummed! I'm from CO originally and had heard about them...they're so cool.

Anyway, good luck with your decision!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts