Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you have very many ownership issues?

Owners who later want their dog back? We don't take owner surrenders so you'd think that we wouldn't have too many of these but we're dealing with our 2nd one for the year right now.

Just curious to see who's dealt with things like this before.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
You have owners who want their dog back?

Wow. On our surrender form it says they have 72 hours to change their mind, after that they relinquish all rights to the dog.

So, no, we've had no requests for people to want their dogs back.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
At our shelter we have a "surrender form" as well, they owner is relinquishing all ownership rights to the dog when they sign it, and we have never had anyone want the dog back. Make sure you have a legally binding form.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wow..what a catch 22. We do take owner surrenders here in Florida. I've personally never had an owner want a dog back but that isn't to say at some point it hasn't happened before I got involved with rescue. I guess your best bet would be an agreement with a certain amount of time for owners to change their mind. I know we charge a $100 surrender fee I don't know if that makes any impact especially if an owner wants their dog back. It has to be hard returning them knowing they were willing to give them up in the first place.

BTW - check went in the mail today for donations. It isn't huge but a start. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Labrador Retriever Rescue in my area keeps ownership of every dog they rescue and adopt out. They also do not take owner give ups any longer.

Personally I had a terrible scare shortly after I got Nellie. I had new neighbors who were renting a house around the corner from me and they came from the area where Nellie was found by animal control. When they saw me walking her they starting shouting that she looked just like the dog they lost and they tried to entice her over to them. I hurried home and called LRR. They said not to worry that LRR had legal ownership of Nellie and that if these people tried anything they would step in.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I can't speak from the rescue side of it, but I can tell you from a potential adopter's side it is tough.

Before I found Labs4Rescue, I worked through a local lab rescue (in PA) who only did owner surrenders. I got one dog from them, who seemed to be a good match, the family had picked me from the interested applicants for their 1 year old pure bred black lab, Bella.

I had Bella just about 2 days and I got the call from the rescue, the owners wanted her back. Even though I had her a very short period, it was hard to have to give her back.

I was really glad when I found Labs4Rescue since they only pull from shelters, so I had no fear of their being an owner wanting Lexi back.

G

·
Whe Laika just has arrived over here, the people she lived by before me, acting a little bit weird ...

They've just sent me an email, if it was possible to return Laika, because her daughter missed Laika so much! ::)

That daughter is a 4 year old adopter little chinese kid ;)

Actually they have two adopted chinese kids 4 years old i gues, but those kids seems to use Laika as an extended toy or some thing like that :(

And getting the paperwork of Laika such as a dog-pasport (yes, we have those in the Netherlands! ;D ) was also difficult from those people, but no i have evry thing Laika related, so they never hear of me again :p

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Lexis Mom said:
I can't speak from the rescue side of it, but I can tell you from a potential adopter's side it is tough.

Before I found Labs4Rescue, I worked through a local lab rescue (in PA) who only did owner surrenders. I got one dog from them, who seemed to be a good match, the family had picked me from the interested applicants for their 1 year old pure bred black lab, Bella.

I had Bella just about 2 days and I got the call from the rescue, the owners wanted her back. Even though I had her a very short period, it was hard to have to give her back.

I was really glad when I found Labs4Rescue since they only pull from shelters, so I had no fear of their being an owner wanting Lexi back.
Not sure where/who you heard that from - but Labs4rescue most certainly does take owner surrendered dogs. I've picked up more than I can count. :(

We also have a surrender contract, so they don't have recourse - not that any have ever wanted them. :(

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
My Joker is not a "rescue" so to speak, but he did come from a friend of the family who couldn't cope with him anymore. The sad thing is I knew them getting a puppy wouldn't work from the get go. We had a solicitor write up a contract to sign his ownership over to us so there is no "going back".

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
MyLabsMom said:
Lexis Mom said:

Not sure where/who you heard that from - but Labs4rescue most certainly does take owner surrendered dogs. I've picked up more than I can count. :(

We also have a surrender contract, so they don't have recourse - not that any have ever wanted them. :(
Brenda,

Thank for setting me straight on that. I was not aware that L4R takes owner surrenders, the only dogs I've done HV's for are ones who were pulled from shelters or found as strays.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Gosh, you think I could get so lucky with River? ;) Just kidding...he "ain't" going anywhere! ;D

I've only had one dog where they asked for him to go back. It was an OS with a 7 year old chocolate boy. I actually tried to foster him and it just didn't work. We were full at the time and he had to go into boarding. His family didn't like him being in boarding, so they paid for what boarding he had used and we let him go back. The lady didn't really want to let him go to begin with and she was the one who came to get him and was going to work with him.

Once they sign that OS form, they give up all their rights. They don't even get to know who adopted the dog, etc. They can see if it gets adopted online and sometimes they would email us, but we only tell them they indeed were adopted to a wonderful family.

I can't imagine any rescue in Lexi's mom's case where they would take the dog back from someone who had already adopted it. That's pretty sad.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Felix said:
Whe Laika just has arrived over here, the people she lived by before me, acting a little bit weird ...

They've just sent me an email, if it was possible to return Laika, because her daughter missed Laika so much! ::)

Actually they have two adopted chinese kids 4 years old i gues, but those kids seems to use Laika as an extended toy or some thing like that :(

And getting the paperwork of Laika such as a dog-pasport (yes, we have those in the Netherlands! ;D ) was also difficult from those people, but no i have evry thing Laika related, so they never hear of me again :p
You bet! Laika is exactly where she belongs! ;D

G

·
snowflake said:
Felix said:

You bet! Laika is exactly where she belongs! ;D
The only time when Laika is left, is for a walk or when she goes to my mother or sister for a short periode :)

And no, she never leave's! :laugh:

G

·
Unfortunately, the rescue I have been working with just had 3 dogs returned. One was a yellow lab that the owners returned due the fact that she shed to much and required to much excersize.

The scary thing is is that the rescue does an extensive interview process and will only send a dog once all the info is verified and the potential adopters interviewed, then is the dog placed.

Some people will say/do anything to get the dog they want.

The rescue does have a clause that if for any reason the dog does not work out, or they can not keep the dog, then they have to surrender it back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts