Just Labradors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to get some ideas or info on doing a Fundraiser for the dog rescue we got Cooper from. We are looking to do it through the schools in our area. Has anyone heard of or known any schools that have done this and what the results were?

Also thinking about trying to buddy up classrooms with a dog that has been adopted and kind of having like a pen pal thing with info sent from the new owners and pictures and hopefully even getting the kids to meet the dog.

These are all just ideas right now, not sure if we can even bring the dogs in unless they are certified (I'm in Ontario)?

Any info would be great, thanks, Johanne.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Re: Rescue Fundraiser ideas x-post

Fundraising broadly in schools can be tough (a tough sell and tough to get permission) - if you have a connection within a school it can be very effective though

penny drives, pizza parties, all those things let the children participate

95 % of all charitable dollars raised go to "people" charities
5% go elsewhere - about 3% to "pet" charities and about 2% to environmental charities... I don't have the source as this is from a radio interview I heard last month - but the source was pretty creditable .. and spekaing about a north american perspective

I digress...

if you want to fundraise for your rescue (and thanks - I think that's a lovely idea) set your goal up front then figure out how you want to get to it ... rather than just starting a million ideas and see what comes in..

lemme give you an example ...
Aldwin's surgery will cost about $1,200 so I'll set that as a real goal tho the rest of the post is fake...

I will ask 10 people to donate 10 bucks just because they are nice people ($100) and I want to start confidently to my goal
I have 2,000 students in my school and I have gotten permission to set up a art work contest in my school - I figure 500 students will participate and I'm going to have a prize for the best art so I'm charging each participant 50 cents ... ($250)
I also know some people will just contribute more when they read sweet Aldwin's story - and I have permission to take him to school so I'm budgeting another $150 from generous people ($150)

the staff at the school is huge - over 100 people. They generally like what I do - so I'm going to have a little silent auction with 10 things each valued at $100 or more .. so I'll expect to get $50 for each ($500)

I don't ask for money for causes I'm not prepared to support so I'm chipping in $200 ($200)

there you go
$1,200 raised in a way that is possible for me and my contacts and abilities..

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Rescue Fundraiser ideas x-post

Wow, I had no idea that so little went to pet charities, it's sad too, because so many people have pets.

Thanks for the example, but I think I'm looking at doing something a little simpler. I like the penny drive idea and was also thinking about have a day when the kids bring in $1 and then would be allowed to bring in a stuffed dog toy or a picture of their dog and maybe have a dog related movie, sell hot dogs for lunch to raise extra money and maybe even have one of the dogs come in for the kids to meet.

There is one dog in particular right now that needs help,

http://www.portstanleynews.com/deta...24_News_News_Will+You+Help+Our+Noble+Friend+?

so maybe it could be done with him in mind.

I am really excited about doing this and hopefully some money can be raised for these deserving dogs!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts