Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Frontline Plus but it just doesn't repel mosquitoes enough. Anyone know of any natural herbs to help? I've read about about Black Walnut but also read that its dangerous so just looking to see if anyone can help me.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
As a gardener, I'm very familiar with Black Walnut trees... is this what you mean, or is there a product out there called "black walnut"? I'm not aware of any mosquito repellent properties of the tree -- we have a huge 50+ year old one in our back yard, and we planted 50 as part of our reforestation of our rural property. The only danger I know of with black walnuts is that many plants won't grow within the vicinity of the tree because of a chemical in the roots (and to a lesser degree in their leaves).

I don't use mosquito repellent on my dogs, but I use deet-based repellents on myself. I'll be interested to see what others have to say - I'd use something on my dogs that wouldn't be dangerous when licked off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I meant Black Walnut herb which is made from the tree...I think?
http://www.healthyhappydogs.com/HeartwormPrevention scroll 3/4 down to Black Walnut Hulls.

But then I found an article that says "Black Walnut - Black Walnut is common in many worming formulas. However, its side effects can cause serious intestinal damage and vomiting. Black Walnut should be avoided or used only under a veterinarian's direction. Black Walnut hulls should never be feed to a dog as then can carry a fungus that is lethal." http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/152974/herbs_for_dogs_an_introduction.html

So I'm confused if I should try it or not. Also the same thing about garlic...some say to use it and others say its poisonous. I'm just looking for something to help repel mosquitoes.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Avon's Skin So Soft.

Skin So Soft bug spray

7 oz. oil
5 oz. water

Combine in sprayer and spray liberally as needed

·
Registered
638 Posts
Folks --

I am not sure skin-so-soft works. I read a study years ago, in consumer reports, I think, which said that skin-so-soft, though purported to repel mosquitoes, did NOT in scientific tests.

DEET works well on humans; no idea if you can use it on dogs.

Also, permethrin is recommended for humans, to repel mosquitoes. And, I know the other popular flea and tick prevention (not Frontline, but the other one -- can't remember the name for some reason) contains permethrin, so it must be safe for dogs (but not cats, I know). Maybe you could try some of that...

Steve

·
Registered
459 Posts
We use K9 Advantix with no fly / mosquito problems.

If we do have problems, we use a citronella based equine / dog spray called Bronco. We pick it up at Tractor Supply Company and it comes in a white spray bottle or can be purchased in a larger refill bottle. It works better than anything else we have tried.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts