Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new (to me) '06 Honda Civic Hybrid has tan leather seats (requisite for a yellow Lab), a custom added retracting sunroof (needed for safe, comfortable Lab waiting in summer), an air bag automatic disconnect for front passenger seat weights under 80 lbs (that's a welcome relief to me, since Puff often rides there).

BUT, it has this H-U-M-O-N-G-O-U-S dash that's a dark blue-gray and composed of a material that magnetically attracts and seizes any yellow Lab hair floating within 10 ft/9 m.

I'd like to have something like a "tack cloth" that furniture refinishers employ to remove stray dust particles just before varnishing a surface that'd be marred by any dust particles getting in the wet varnish.

Tack cloths pick up particles because they're usually cheesecloth slightly dampened with the varnish that's soon to be applied.

I can't risk applying varnish to my dash BUT I'd like something with a bit of stickiness that could be safely used to attract Lab hairs from the dash.

Could dye Puff's fur dark blue gray -- but her yellow color does go with the tan upholstery.

Could use masking tape but was hoping for something easier and quicker to use.

Any remedies?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I use those Swiffer dust thingers. To polish it up afterwards I use Murphy's Oil soap or something made just for the interior of cars.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I'd vote for just a damp washcloth , fold it and use each side for a swipe - should pic up the hair and not damage the finish.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sell Puff ?
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'd vote for just a damp washcloth , fold it and use each side for a swipe - should pic up the hair and not damage the finish.
HMMmm!!!! I keep a 1/4 (left on it) roll of Viva! paper towels in the car to use as napkins, disposable handkerchiefs, removing muddy paw prints, etc., prn.

And also, there's always a bottle of water in the car, too, for my 3X/week, 60 minute physical fitness classes.

DUH!! I could add a bit of water to a paper towel and make my own disposable tack cloth....... VOILA!! I'll try it!!!

If that doesn't work, I'll try the Swiffer and WallyWorld.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Also take a couple drier sheets and run over it, will help remove the static.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Betsy you are the Queen of Internet shopping solutions. Bob, I once bought a dashboard sponge intended to keep the dash clear of dog hair dust etc. Bought it at an auto supply store. Kept it in my glove compartment. It was on the moist side and never did dry out. After a few years it got old and crumbly. It was worth the money. What I'd like to know is how to get doghair out from inside some of tha gauges on my dashboard.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/LintRemoval/Products/

Lint remover roll. I buy mine at Walmart, Target etc. They are tacky on a handle. You peel them off as used. Actually I leave my old one on and the peel it when I am ready to need a fresh one so it is really moist. I just keep it in a plastic bag in my glove box.

Apparently they also sell them as sheets but I like the clothes roller type.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Carry a container of wet-wipes, or whatever they're called to wipe it down. That, or adapt Quentin Crisp's dictum that you should leave the dust undisturbed. "I have a message of hope for the housewives of England," he had said. "After four years it doesn't get any worse." He was a wise man.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Spray it with StaticGuard! :)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Sell Puff ?
Better yet, SEAL Puff.

You're attacking this issue from the wrong end. Cut it off at the source.

A couple-a good coats of shellaque should do the trick quite nicely.

And think of the ancillary bennies: After a romp in the mud, she's clean w/a few quick swipes of a squeegee.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts