Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hubby's grandmother is in the hospital and may not be going home ever. On the way home we starting reciting some of the stories of her past that she had told over the years, and what an amazing woman she was. And though she never was a bragger she certainly had enough talent to brag about.
And it made me sad to know her history will die with her. I wish she had written it down or had someone record her words when she spoke of her life. Anyway as we go into the next decade we should remember to look back at all the wonderful things that has happened because of the people that lived before us.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I cannot remember who, but someone very wise once said: When an old person dies, it's as if a library has burnt to the ground.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
My Dad wrote us up one before he passed away. That was in 2006, still haven't had the heart to read it.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
when my father in law passed away...we, his two sons, 5 grandchildren and two daughter-in-laws, filled a book of memories/stories he had told, or we remembered about his life and our experiences with him. The kids even filled several pages of his favorite jokes/gags. My sister in law sent it off somewhere and had it bound into a book for us and my mother-in law.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
I remember reading an article in Readers Digest " when a parent passes away you lose someone who knows you as well as you know yourself"

Hugs to all that have lost their parents. I am still so blessed to have both of mine.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I remember reading an article in Readers Digest " when a parent passes away you lose someone who knows you as well as you know yourself"

<<<swallows hard>>> :eek:

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Prayers for your Grandmother.

Before mine passed away my dad and uncles got a video camera and set it up and taped her. Kids and grandkids were there. They started out asking questions about her life to break the ice and get her talking, then it seemed like it just flowed. She told stories of her growing up and going to school and all of her life. She was 94. They made copies for everybody. I am so glad they did this. I cherish it. Now mind you, as she would say, she went from horse and buggy and no electricity clear up until she died. She was born in 1902. What a great history.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Before written word, stories were told and handed down generation after generation. I've told stories of my great grandfather, which I never met ,to my grandkids. You can do that too.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I cannot remember who, but someone very wise once said: When an old person dies, it's as if a library has burnt to the ground.
That's so true. I have a box of about 1,000 old family photos dating back to the early/mid 1800's. When Mum & my Grandmother were alive, I never thought to ask them about any of them. It was only after Mum died that I went through them. I found one of her waving at Sir Charles Kingsford Smith in the Southern Cross. I wasn't sure at first if it was but I remembered Mum telling this story about how when she was about 5, they saw Kingsford Smith flying out of NZ & she waved at the plane as he flew overhead. It took me about 6 months of research through NZ, Australia & the US to confirm exactly who the kid was in that photo. Finally hunted down the leading expert on CKS in NZ. Emailed him the pic & the approximate date it was taken & he confirmed it. It was the Southern Cross alright. My Aunt in the US ID'd the kid in the photo as Mum as well so between the 2, there can be no doubt.

I now have that pic framed on my wall. God I wish Mum was here so she could see it again. :( The moral to the story is, if you've got any old family photos & you've still got someone of the older generation to ID them, FGS do it NOW because one day it will be too late.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Those stories are so important to families. Keep telling them. Keep remembering them.

On New Years Day, we sat around with a handful of dh's aunts and uncles and they just kept telling stories of their childhood. Growing up in a family of 13 and all the trouble they got into. It was a wonderful way to start off the year. And now I know my son comes by his little devilish side through genetics. ;)

I'm sorry to hear that your dh's grandmother is ill. :( I'll be thinking of you and your family.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Is it too late for her to record stories or have some one write them down? It would be sad for those fantastic stories to be lost

1 - 11 of 11 Posts