Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just returned home from church when my ds said..."She's back and another dog is with her." We let them both come in and did the re-introduction with Cammy. The black dog is about 9 months...lab/boxer mix. He started out licking Cammy's face, both went into a play bow, and the butt tucking began! ;D
Jill, the JRT, did not have any ID (They told me she had tags on another collar). The black one had no collar on. After some play time, my dd and I leashed them both up and took them home. The guy and a boy were walking down the street looking for them.
I said, "We meet again" The mom said the boy let them out, "thinking they were going to stick around", and started to scold him AND the dog. (It's not the dog fault). I told them in a pleading, desperation in my voice they really need to leash them so they won't get injured. I was nice enough about it, but geeeeeeez....second time in a week?
If they do get out again, I hope they remember us and come back here to our house. I'm almost expecting the third one to come along next. ::) I dunno.....I wish people were more responsible....loved their pets more. When I brought Jill back last week and asked if this was her dog, and her reply was "Oh, yeah"....my husband let her out this morning and didn't leash her. I was taken somewhat back...I mean, if Cammy was gone for FOUR hours, I would be besides myself with thanks that someone brought her in.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
They're lucky that you're nice. If it was me, I'd just have a couple more dogs in my family... ;)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Re: Remember the JRT that showed up at our doorstep? She's back...with a friend

I'm with MickeysMom on this. It's how we ended up with Scamp and ALMOST a miniature Dauchs last year. I had to be strong. It felt mean, (turning down the Dauchs) but we're full up.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
There's a leash law in our city - expensive ticket if your dog isn't on one. Jasper (my OES) used to jump our fence, so we got a warning. We ended up having to put in a new, taller fence for him.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I would be beside myself too, if Zoe were gone for 4 hours...hey, even 1 minute.

Hope they learn to leash their dogs.

had to smile about 3 coming the next time. :)

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
What I would do (assuming that the Animal Control in your area is well run and responsible)

-next time they're out, take them to AC. Most AC's have a 'release fee' if your dogs are caught running loose, so hitting the family in the pocket might trigger their responsibility. Repeat as necessary.

-put a hold on the dogs so that when they come up for adoption, you can release them.

-then contact your local breed rescue or adoption group and find them new, more responsible homes.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did feel guilty even returning them....but, I think, like Kaytris said, I could bring them to AC and hold them. One of our families from church had to pay a stiff fine when their yellow lab got loose. It taught them. Maybe these neighbors DO need a lesson.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Even though Zoey is trustworthy off leash. Nobody goes outside without a leash on. I'm too close to a main road, if they were missing for even a minute I would have a stroke.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what you mean, 1scottielabby, if Cammy was loose and I didn't where she was.....man, oh man....I would hate to see what kind of shape I would be.

P.S. Love the Scottie pic. One of good friends

1 - 9 of 9 Posts