Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has an ear infection so bad his ear is all POOFY!!!! Its huge!! I have never seen this dog with out an ear infection :-\ . She told me tonight that her vet told her labs just have ear infections :eek: . I told her tonight she needs to have someone else look at his ear.. While she ran to get her son Joe stayed with us and I was watching him shake his head.. I noticed his other ear is infected too.. OUCH!!!! Poor guy! I really hope that she finds a new vet.. I have had 8 labs and have only had one have an ear infection and it was only once..
Would you look for a second vet to have a look at the ear?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
HECK yes, I would.

I would also get the recipe for the purple ear solution and give it to your friend ASAP. That stuff works wonders, and is certainly better than doing nothing.

What is the dog eating, do you know?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Man. Vets sometimes. :mad: Sounds like something Crash's old vet used to tell us.

Crash had constant ear infections his whole life. We would take him in, they would clean them and give us drops, it would help temporarily but come right back. It went on for so long we sort of started to think that it was just his lot in life. We knew no better. :'( And our vet sure didn't help us try to do much about it. Same old drops, month after month. :(

Can't recurrent ear infections be a sign of an allergy? Wonder what she feeds him?

·
Registered
181 Posts
We had the same problem with our first lab, Casey. She had ear infections her whole life. I was constantly cleaning her ears until finally she lost her hearing when she was about 11. Now thanks to this site I've learned it was probably due to allergies! I had her to four different vets due to moving and none of them picked up on it. :'(

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Cinnamon had a recurrent yeast infection in her ears when I changed her food. After 3 rounds of tx the vet put her on a different 30 day med and I changed her food again. It never came back.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
He'll probably have to have surgery now.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
An unchecked ear infection can actually cause the dog's eardrum to bust. That is going to be a heck of a lot more expensive to deal with than an ear infection!

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Poor Joe!! I hope your neighbours get him the help he needs.

Henry was plagued with chronic ear infections for the first 3 years of his life. Same as Connie, we'd go to the vet, get the antibiotic drops, and it would go away, only to return. FINALLY, one of his vets thought to culture what was growing in his ears... turns out it was yeast. I started doing bigtime research since I hated just treating the symptoms, not the source. He had been eating high quality, holistic kibble but to no avail. Finally, I switched him to raw, and his ears cleared up within weeks.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know she had gotten online and found out how to make the purple stuff! I kept telling her that I was sure it was his food that she was feeding. They lived in AZ and moved up here back in Aug I think it was. She couldnt find the dog food she was feeding so went to something else. She has now found her old dog food and is trying to change back over to that..
I sure hope they can figure something out for this guy! Hes such a sweetheart.. Lastnight he came to visit and came and sat right next to me and let me pet him and love on him...

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I hope the poor guy is gonna be okay. Are you sure she's even taken him to the vet? I can't see a vet letting something like that go, my first thought was she's lying to you.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TangerineFizz said:
Are you sure she's even taken him to the vet? I can't see a vet letting something like that go, my first thought was she's lying to you.
I am sure she will be seeing a vet today.. Joe is a very important part of their family.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
As you all know Zoey has ear trouble due to allergies. About 6 mos ago she got a hematoma from flapping her ears and needed surgery. I hope Joe gets some relief soon.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Tell her to take the poor boy off wheat and corn and see if that doesn't make a difference. Shadow had one ear iinfection after another until we took her off all wheat - including treats. The only time she got an ear infection after that was when I left the trash on the floor and she ate bread and a pizza. ::) After I got that one cleared up, she stayed clear. Tell her to check ALL labels, because there is wheat and/or flour in just about every edible dog product made, unless it clearly states that it is wheat-free.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts