Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else walked in a Relay for Life for the American Cancer Society?

My family has been doing this every year since they started one in my home town it's so much fun and for a great cause.
Here is their website. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/par/content/PAR_1_Relay_For_Life.asp
Basically you have a team of 8-12 people and you raise money for cancer research. Then you participate in the actual Relay which is a 24 hour walk-a-thon where your supposed to have someone from your team on the track the whole time walking. They have food, entertainment, games, massages, music to keep you entertained.

We started out with both sides of my family and dad as the captian but over the years it's turned into more mom's side of the family and my generation has taken over leadership of the team. A few years we had two teams even because we had so many wanting to walk. We normally do a few fund raisers like road blocks, yard sales, car wash, cook outs to raise money then the first weekend of June. This year we didn't get as much raised as other years but as we get older and are starting families it's harder to get everyone together. This years Relay is this weekend I can't wait we'll be up most of the night with family and friends listening to music and walking.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Not just american, we have it up here too.

I'm not walking this year, but i did donate and bought a luminary in honour of my aunt.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Yes we walk in it every year. Sad to say, we have too many reasons to walk in our family.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's cool they have it up in Canada too it's so much fun.

Unfortunatley we have a lot of reasons to walk as well :( but at least we're trying to make a difference. Hopefully generations to come will have more options.

We normally do a few luminaries as well for several familiy members I hope to make it there in time for the ceremony tonight. It's about an hour and a half drive for me and I have to work until 5 then get home and get supper, my stuff and Mocha's packed, then drive and drop Mocha off at mom and dad's and get to the track. It's going to be a long night but I enjoy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts