Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Weds. Reggie went to the Orthovet. I love our Orthovet, great reputation and a great bedside manner. He did a thorough exam and Reggie's back legs weakness/mobility issue is definitely neurological. He didn't want to say absolutely definitively but he thinks that it is Degenerative Myelopathy. He also thought Reggie's slightly positive Lyme status has nothing to do with it, just a case of coincidental bad luck. He started him on a course of Prednisone just in case it is a slipped disc based on Reggie's history but he really doesn't think so after examining him. He said if we don't see an improvement in about two weeks, we'll stop (taper off), and we'll start dealing with the DM as best we can.

Good news is that Reggie has fantastic hips, good reflexes (and a chipper attitude). Bad news was that on Wed when I came home from work to get him for our Orthovet appt., he could not get up from a sitting position to get out of his crate which is a new symptom. He was sitting on his butt and his legs were in a V and he could not bring them together and get them under his body so he could stand up. I had to get into the crate and pull his back end up and put his feet under him. After that he was fine. This means no more regular crating for him. I've cleaned out the office and put a dog bed in it for him. Yesterday was a trial run. I put him and Blackie in the office. He was a bit freaked out (barking) when I left. But I put them back in, in the evening for a few hours and he didn't bark the second time. This might work out for him but still need to do a few more bits of rearranging.

Anyway, sorry so long, we'll have to take it as it comes, and it is what it is. Thought you'd be interested.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Poor Reggie. I hope the Prednisone helps.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I hope the pred works too because that would mean it isn't DM. However, I think it is (DM), so the pred probably won't do anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts