Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I came across this forum a few weeks ago, and after reading many past posts have gotten some great advice! I am looking at getting a male yellow lab from a breeder. I did all my research, and there is just one question I have. On the pedigree for the planned puppies, almost all the parents/grandparents/great grandparents are listed as Champions, so I know that is good, but I noticed that there is one dog listed as the grandfather on the sire's side that is the same as the great-grandfather on the dam's side. Is this okay with dogs, or would this be some weird imbreeding? No other names match, and again the majority 4 generations back are listed as Ch. (some Am. some Can. some int.). Dogs are O.F.A, CERF, and Optigen cleared.

The dogs will be bred in August, so we'll get the puppy in December (can you tell I'm already excited!! I've been waiting over 6 years since my dear female lab passed away from cancer for my husband to agree to another dog; we've had 3 kids since then, but I still want a labby!). I just want to make sure we get as healthy dog as we can this time (last was from a BYB before we knew better!).

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
It's totally fine. The only thing to stay away from is if they are breeding brother/sister, Mother/son, Father/daughter....any other combination is OK in the dog world.

Good luck and have fun waiting for your puppy! This is always an exciting time!!!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
It sounds like it's a very safe linebreeding, but I'd personally want to know WHAT dog it is that was linebred upon. What was his OFA records (progeny) etc, like (go to www.offa.org and look him up)? Is he clear for PRA or did they linebreed on a carrier and resulting offspring not tested? Maybe he is an epilepsy or TVD carrier.... Those are my concerns on linebreeding, though there are several really nice, sound dogs out there that have been linebred on quite nicely, there are still "breeders" that don't know to look for these things unfortunately. I ran across one last year that just about floored me-- was doing an inbreeding (1/2 bro to 1/2 sis) on a dog that was not PRA tested, etc., and really was not proven from the breeding perspective (had only 4 or 5 offspring listed on OFA).... I'd run from such a breeding personally.
-Anne

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!

Birdbrainz, I'm not sure what PRA is? Can you help me out on that. Also, I went to the offa website, and the one dog I am talking about on the pedrigree isn't listed. He is 13 years old; I don't know if that has anything to do with it. But his sons on both sides are listed as good/normal/cerf, and if you were talking about their offspring, one has 150 offspring listed on that site as well as 4 half siblings (and HIS son that will be the father has 30 offspring and about 150 siblings listed). The other son on the dam's side has 44 off spring listed (and HIS son that would be the grandfather has 100 offspring and 30 siblings listed). Obviously I can't check the offspring of the dog that is listed in both dam's and sire's pedigree since he isn't listed. But is that what you are talking about by looking for number of offspring being tested (seems like those are some pretty high numbers, which would be good, right?)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So wouldn't the Optigen testing clear me of worrying about PRA? The father is type A, and the mother is cleared by parentage (both parents were type A). Since I won't be breeding my dog, even if he is a carrier, he wouldn't develop it (or so I've been told) which is really all that matters to me.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
If both parents are A's, the pups are clear (A) by parentage. For the dog you can't find on OFA, he could well be an import and perhaps was done under another program. It sounds to me to be a sound breeding based on the progeny reports. Did you look for elbow health too? -Anne

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, Hips were listed as good, Elbow normal for all the ones I clicked in. Thanks for your information!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts