Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am healing from a accident that resulted in my right little finger getting dislocated, broken in three places and partially degloved, meaning the skin was pulled off part of the finger. No nerve damage and no damage to the blood supply to the finger. It took 15 stitches to close the wound and one pin to hold everything in place.

The stitches are out, pin was removed almost two weeks ago, I can move the finger a bit, but the little finger is still the size of my thumb. My Hand Terrorist started moving the muscle around to break up the scar tissue, but it will be a long process.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to reduce the swelling? It is mostly between the first and second knuckle and is restricting my ability to make a fist or grip stuff.
Thanks
LD

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I feel for you, Andy, but have no idea.

About 9-12 months ago, walking barefoot at home, I stubbed my left big toe and it's still slightly red and swollen (but far less so than the month after).

Then about 6 months ago, answering nature's call, I prevented falling in the dark by suddenly flailing out for a nearby wall and dislocated the second joint of my left ring finger.

My physician's assistant put it back in place, splinted it, but it's still slightly swollen and can't go as fully straight as its sibs. From time to time, I work on it, straightening it out as much as possible with tolerable pain.

I think a physical therapist could probably give you the best information -- if not the one you have now, maybe a more empathic, verbal one?

Hope you find something to give quicker relief.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
icing it several times a day and ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory. That's the regiment they gave me for my achilles tendonitis to reduce swelling. and that took 5 months and it's still not completely well.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cold compresses would work I think. Did you ask the HT about it?
Thanks for the suggestions.
Only thing the surgeon said was 750 mgs of acetemetaphine every 8 hours.
The Hand Terrorist puts heat on it for ten minutes each session, twice a week. They did not say anything about cold, though they were just a little concerned the swelling is still there.

Scar tissue is quite hard. Having a bit of a time with trying to break it up. If the swelling and scar tissue go away i could flex the finger a bit more.

LD

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Try Coban wraps (1") .......... similar to Ace bandages but sticks to itself and gives compression. I use that on my hand patients.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts