Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is that recipe section we used to have? Sure would like to get it back sometime.

I'm looking for a recipe that calls for bread, eggs, milk and meat and whatever else is in it. Usually served for brunch, baked in the oven after sitting over nite in the fridge.

Hopefully someone knows what I am talking about! :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
You can still view the old board and get it. :)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
It sounds like the breakfast casserole I had posted before and also put into the JL Sit-Stay-Eat cookbook that we made. You make it the night before and bake it in the morning.

If it's the same one, here is the recipe:

5 slices bread buttered and cubed
3/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese shredded
4 eggs beaten
2 cups milk
1 tsp dry mustard
dash of cayenne pepper
dash worcestshire (sp?) sauce

Grease casserole dish
Alternate layers of bread, cheese & mix-ins (sausage, broccoli, ham...whatever)
Mix milk & seasonings
Add to eggs & mix
Pour over casserole

Cover & let stand over night in fridge
Bake 45-60 minutes at 350 - until golden & bubbly.

I usually make one with sausage and one with broccoli. It's easy and always a big hit!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I make a similar recipe to what Sue posted...it is so good! I need to make that. It's good with mushrooms, too, if you like them.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I make a very similar recipe, too (with mushrooms and sausage). Add a bit of dill to the egg mixture, it gives a nice added hint of flavor. You can also cary the cheese; sometimes I like to use shredded swiss or mozzarella instead of or in addition tot he cheddar.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Breakfast Casserole

1 pkg. Pork Sausage
10 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups milk
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups cubed bread
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup chopped red pepper
½ cup thin-sliced green onions

Preheat oven to 325 F. In large skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink. In large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, mustard and salt; stir well. Distribute half the bread evenly in a buttered 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish. Sprinkle with half the pepper, half the cheese, half the sausage and half of each optional ingredient. Repeat layering using remaining bread, pepper, cheese, sausage and optional ingredients. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole. Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes, or until eggs are set. Tent with foil if top begins to brown too quickly.

Note: may be assembled ahead and refrigerated up to 12 hours before baking.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Best recipe ever:

Christmas Morning Wifesaver
The Best of the Best - Vol. 1 (Page: 26)
Enjoy! (Page: 33)

Superb! Make the day before and pop in the oven in the morning. Serves 8.

Ingredients:
16 slices white bread, crusts
removed
16 slices Canadian back bacon or
ham
16 slices sharp cheddar cheese
6 eggs
1/2 tsp. pepper 2 mL
1/2-1 tsp. dry mustard 2-5 mL
1/4 cup minced onion 60 mL
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper 60mL
1-2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 5-10 mL
3 cups milk 750 mL
dash Tabasco
1/2 cup butter 125 mL
Special K or crushed Corn Flakes

Instructions:
Set 8 pieces of bread into a 9" x 13" (23 x 33 cm) buttered, glass baking dish. Cover bread with slices of back bacon. Lay slices of cheddar cheese on top of bacon and then cover with remaining slices of bread to make it like a sandwich. In a bowl, beat eggs and pepper. To the egg mixture add dry mustard, onion, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, milk and Tabasco. Pour over the sandwiches, cover and let stand in fridge overnight. In morning, melt butter, pour over top. Cover with Special K or crushed Corn Flakes. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour at 350 deg.F (180 deg.C). Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Serve this with fresh fruit and hot cinnamon rolls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts