Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sam, 4 year old YM, has been fed Newman's Own Organics since he was about a year old. The pet food maker uses organic brown rice and not rice protein concentrate. Does anyone know why the protein concentrate would be used rather then just organic rice? What is the difference?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Rice protein concentrate is probably cheaper than organic rice. Newman's isn't really concerned about cost, they pass that on to the consumer who WANTS 100% Organic. Purina or Menu Foods or whoever else is looking for a less expensive ingredient.

What's the difference? I am not sure, but I am probably pretty certain that organic rice is RICE and rice protein concentrate is some wierdly processed food product that must have originated from rice at some point in the process.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense. NO is more expensive but it wasn't our first choice, Sam has such bad skin allergies, NO was the only food he could tolerate.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
since it has to go through the process of being filtered and enzymatically digested before becoming a rice protein concentrate i doubt it is cheeper.
But it is consider a protein enhancement that is very high in protein (over 50%).
Now there are organic sources of Rice Protein Concentrate but those are probably even more costly.

Just located this info
http://www.berlinkauf.com/Rice_Protein_Concentrate-198931.html

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
cinderbaylabs said:
since it has to go through the process of being filtered and enzymatically digested before becoming a rice protein concentrate i doubt it is cheeper.
But it is consider a protein enhancement that is very high in protein (over 50%).
Now there are organic sources of Rice Protein Concentrate but those are probably even more costly.

Just located this info
http://www.berlinkauf.com/Rice_Protein_Concentrate-198931.html
Another thing I'd add is they're accomplishing two separate goals. Regular rice is used as a source of carbohydrates whereas the rice protein concentrate is used as a cheap source of protein - at least cheaper than using animal sources. I've never fed a food with it, so I don't know much about it other than the generic uses.

Rice alone has very little protein, it's like corn. But with a bit of processing, they can concentrate the protein of a lot of corn or rice into a high protein source - corn gluten meal and rice protein concentrate respectively.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts