Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I sound like a broken record.
I don't know why the hell I'm so worried about getting Frankie neutered. I am though. :-\ Maybe because it's not my regular vet. I wonder how many neuters an average vets office does per week. Hmmm..... I'll have to ask when I call, for my own piece of mind if nothing else.

Anyway, I asked before but I'm going to ask again. I should probably make the appointment for a Friday so we can watch him over the weekend, right? I thought at first it would be better to do it on, say, a Monday or Tuesday, so that he'll be in the crate anyway and will keep calm. But then again, I wouldn't be able to see if he's licking the stitches.

Ugh. I hate this. :-\

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Frankie will be fine. Just keep telling yourself that. Definitely give your vet a call for reassurance -- having faith in them will make it so much easier.

should probably make the appointment for a Friday so we can watch him over the weekend, right?
This sounds like a great idea. He will probably be feeling a bit rough when you first bring him home so being there to comfort him is a nice gesture. He will appreciate that.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Don't worry!!! I went through this too - I could not bear to take Mar in for neutering. But, we did. And he is fine. It did take a few weeks for him to 'bounce back' though.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few weeks to bounce back?? :eek: I thought it was only a few days. Wow.
I've had three dogs neutered already. You would think I would remember this stuff. :-\

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I say make it for a Thursday, and take the Friday off. You may as well give yourself a long weekend while watching the little monkey. :p

He will be fine Amy. Abby was completely normal after she got spayed, so much so I was wondering if they even spayed her...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ok, maybe not a few weeks. He was physically healthy right away but didn't act as happy or boisterous for a couple of weeks. He is TOTALLY back to normal now.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I think as with anything it depends on the dog. With mine, they were 100% back to normal after 24 hours. The hard task was keeping them quiet for 10 days.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so much so I was wondering if they even spayed her...
LOL! ;D
Yea, maybe I will make it for Thursday and take Friday off.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Trickster said:
I think as with anything it depends on the dog. With mine, they were 100% back to normal after 24 hours. The hard task was keeping them quiet for 10 days.
Keeping them calm is the toughest part.

MarlansMum said:
He was physically healthy right away but didn't act as happy or boisterous for a couple of weeks.
Well if you think about what he just lost, happy doesn't come to mind! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
That big lug'll be fine. :) I agree, if you're nervous, call the vet and talk to them so you feel better.

Our vet does surgeries on Tuesdays, so I took the next day off work just to stay home and keep Tucker quiet. Honestly, I must be the oddball...I never gave it a second thought, him being neutered; I didn't worry or anything.

Tucker's stitches were all internal, with surgical glue holding the small outside incision together. He never licked it. Maybe Frankie will have the same thing, who knows.

Tucker did whine quite a bit, and cry some the evening we brought him home. Don't get worried if Frankie does that; that's pretty normal after anesthesia, I think. He was groggy and slept most of the evening; we just made sure he was laying where no draft was on him. He was given pain meds for the first couple of days.

The hardest thing was not letting him be running and such for 10 days.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tucker's stitches were all internal, with surgical glue holding the small outside incision together.
Interesting Donna. I never heard of that. Did the stitches disolve, or did he have to go back and have them removed?

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
Tucker's stitches were all internal, with surgical glue holding the small outside incision together.
Interesting Donna. I never heard of that. Did the stitches disolve, or did he have to go back and have them removed?
This is the same thing they did for Tal on his stiches. They dissolve so there is no return visit to remove them. Tal's surgery was on a Wednesday and I had a friend look in on him twice Thursday. I put him in his crate at bedtime Wednesday because he I thought he might start to walk around and knowing he was still woozy from the anesthesia. He started to cyr and it dawned on me he might be frightened because of not knowing why he was feeling that way. He stopped when I let him out, he crawled up into the bed with me and I petted him as he dropped off to sleep. He was lmost normal by Thursday and he was pretty much normal by Friday.

G

·
when we had boone's surgery--he came bouncing out to the waiting room. the nurse says "boy, he has a lot of energy, doesn't he ?" we thought we would get at least an evening of quiet but that wasn't in boone's plan.

try not to worry and talk to the vet for reassurance. he will be just fine. :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Even though I knew everything would be fine, I started crying right before I took my big boy in. He was really groggy that whole afternoon, but the next day he was his old self! I like the idea of having it done on Thursday and taking Friday off. I had nothing going on the whole weekend, and the whole family babied Toby.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
It's worrisome when they have surgery, but I'm sure Frankie will do fine with his McFlapper removal. (That term just cracks me up.) Having it done on a Thursday or Friday sounds like a good idea.

Give that boy a :-* for me.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I've never had a dog not bounce back instantaneously. Frankie will be fine.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think my nerves could handle having 2 done at the same time. :-\ Do you have your appointment yet?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts