Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:I bought a leather recliner from Bob's Discount Furniture. It was nice looking in the showroom, comfortable and the price was great! I know that their stuff is not high quality - but I just wanted something that would last for a few years.

So - it was delivered on 12/26. From the moment they brought it inside it gave off a strong chemical smell. We told the driver we would hold onto it - maybe the smell would dissipate. 2 days later we had to move it to the sunporch (enclosed and weather tight) because the fumes were actually affecting my asthma and I was having a hard time breathing in that room.

We bring the problem to the attention of the company and about 10 days later they bring a replacement chair. It arrived while I was at work (DH was home). The minute I walked into the room - same issue. Not quite as strong as the last - but still affecting me.

It's been on the porch again since the day they delivered it. I have to hold my breath when I walk past it to go out the door.

So - after a bit of wrangling with Bob's they are taking back the chair and refunding me the puchase price - but not the delivery fee.

I think that they should return all the money. The product is defective. This is not an "I changed my mind" return. I am really pissed.

And on top of all that - they would give me no info about their home office execs. I had to search online to find their names. Ridiculous.

Off to write several letters of complaint and then contact the BBB. :mad:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Call your local TV station consumer advocate, also. Betcha that's a type of advertising they would not want.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I would be pissed too! Thanks for the heads up...if it means anything to you, your story just cost them a potential new customer...I was going to go there to check out some living room furniture as well...I think I will take a pass now.

Good luck! Let us know how it is resolved.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Did you tell them you were contacted the BBB? My husband is great at dealing with this kind of stuff, and he always threatens to contact the BBB and the State Attorney General's office.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you tell them you were contacted the BBB? My husband is great at dealing with this kind of stuff, and he always threatens to contact the BBB and the State Attorney General's office.
Yes I did. I was only allowed to speak to a customer service underling. Believe me - one thing I have learned in more than 30 years of retail management is what pushes the right buttons. They don't even give out last names of the middle managers in the CS division. They must get innundated with complaints.

I'm sure that I am not going to get much of a response from them - but if I can cost them some business that will balance out the loss of my 60 bucks a bit.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Yes I did. I was only allowed to speak to a customer service underling. Believe me - one thing I have learned in more than 30 years of retail management is what pushes the right buttons. They don't even give out last names of the middle managers in the CS division. They must get innundated with complaints.

I'm sure that I am not going to get much of a response from them - but if I can cost them some business that will balance out the loss of my 60 bucks a bit.
If you paid by credit/debit card you can also dispute the charges.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also plan to run this past my credit card company. After they process the partial refund I will get VISA to do a charge back on the balance. They will then have to defend their delivery charge to VISA. I've had to deal with these - and the labor expense alone is many times the $60 bucks. hehehe.

Posted before I saw your comment Debi. But I want the partial refund first.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
They charge $60 do deliver a recliner? Yikes! I'd strap it to my roof before paying that.. tucker could snooze up there and make sure no birds pooped on it.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I know that over here in Canada, if someone asks you for the particulars of a Company/Corporation, it's pretty much against the law for them not to provide it to you....

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
They charge $60 do deliver a recliner? Yikes! I'd strap it to my roof before paying that.. tucker could snooze up there and make sure no birds pooped on it.
I fit a recliner in my Honda Accord....they come in 2 pieces and they are easy to assemble. The store was less than a mile from our house though so it would have been silly to pay for delivery.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Delivered - I got it in 2 days. Waiting for them to ship it to the store so we could get it - 2 weeks.

That is why I paid for delivery.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
It sounds like they bought leather to make it that was tanned with Formaldehyde. Not sure about other countries, but some leather in Mexico is still tanned with it. We get some stuff here at work once in a while that has been made out of it. It is sent back to the vender.

Often folks will tell you that the leather has been tanned in urine, but it is really Formaldehyde and it is not healthy to be around it.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
well this sort of blows my plan to order a leather sofa off the JCP site....hmmmm....
yeh, use AMEX for purchases like that, if you have it. AMEX rocks in not making ya pay for stuff!

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to hear that. The name Bob's Discount Furniture should have been a clue. I hope you get your money back.
They are a HUGE chain on the east coast. They are really not any different than any other furniture dealer - they are mostly shysters.

I had an issue with a small high end furniture company 5 years ago - similar kind of behavior from their customer service. They seem to not have any notion of developing a relationship with a customer.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
They are a HUGE chain on the east coast. They are really not any different than any other furniture dealer - they are mostly shysters.

I had an issue with a small high end furniture company 5 years ago - similar kind of behavior from their customer service. They seem to not have any notion of developing a relationship with a customer.

Considering the mark-ups on furniture in the industry I am surprised at the slow/partial refunding. They can afford a few bad sales for every good sale.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts