Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the good news about Baby Moka is that she only has a little over a week and a half to go before she is off all restrictions!! Yay!! We can't wait....she has been able to play outside a little bit, on a leash and controlled, so she has been playing the snow the last few days for about 30 minutes at a time. It really tires the little tubby girl out. I think she is losing a little of the weight, I have cut down her food and supplemented her with more veggies. So..we're in the home stretch...last couple weeks and she is doing amazing!! I will post new pics and maybe a video, if I can figure out how!!

Now the bad news...last week I was playing with Java outside, tossing her jolly ball in the snow. You know how they run full speed and skid to a stop to get the ball? Well, she did that and yelped a little bit. After that she was limping off and on. I restricted her exercise and gave her some baby aspirin. Figuring she pulled a muscle or tweaked her lag a bit (her rear left leg). When the limping didn't get better I scheduled an appointment with the vet.....Java tore her CCL and will have surgery next week. Are you frickin kidding me??????? I could scream!!! She has an appointment with the ortho surgeon on Monday, then we'll schedule the surgery. LUCKILY-I signed up for pet insurance for both girls after Moka's accident, so the bill won't be quite as painful this time around. The surgery is about $3000, but I am only responsible for 20% + $200 deductible, so that's not too bad. (Although I am still paying off Moka's bills!! lol)

So....one puppy comes off crate restrictions...just in time for the other puppy to go on crate restriction.
Will I ever have 2 healthy dogs at the same time again??????
I am so frustrated. We were so close.......

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Oh my gosh, I am so sorry about Java. So sorry!
But, congrats on Moka, I was really happy to read such a good report about her.

You guys are in my thoughts and prayers, hang tough!

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Happy Moka is on her way to a full recover. Poor Java, prayers for a speedy recovery for her, and lots of prayer for 2 healthy dogs for good./

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
My thoughts and sympathy are with you. I am surprised that your purchase of pet insurance did not ward off any future need. That is how I think it usually works. Glad that you have it though. Good thoughts for you and your dogs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am so sorry! :hug: (s) to your poor doggies!!! :(
I feel for you also! Hope they get better soon!! :wink:

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Oh gee, you just can't seem to catch a break. So glad to hear that Moka is almost 100%. Sending good thoughts for Java!

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
I've been reading about Moka since her accident. glad she is much better and ready to go! : )
Sorry to hear about Java though. Good thoughts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
OMG! That IS bad news. I am so sorry.

Angus plays ball that way, and it scares the devil out of me. He came up limping quite a few times last year...a couple of times it was a ripped toenail, and once we figure it was a sprained toe.

I know she will be on strict bed rest for a while after the surgery, but here is my tip for stopping the skidding if you need to: Throw the ball way up instead of out. This seems to work for Angus. He still goes out hard, but the thing that makes him skid out is seeing the ball on the ground. If I drop it kind of behind him, he goes fast but never skids because he's looking for the ball. If that makes any sense. I threw for him this way when he was still a little gimpy but not seriously hurt and feeling sorry for himself because he wasn't getting to play. It was easier on his leg but he didn't feel as cheated out of play time.

Glad the insurance is going to help so much! I know what you mean about having two healthy dogs at the same time, sort of. With all our feet problems last year I was saying the same thing. It makes you appreciate when everyone is doing well!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Poor Java! Good thoughts for a successful surgery and a quick recovery. You'll be a champion at managing dogs with activity restrictions by the time you're done with all of this!

But that's great news about Moka, and what a relief that you have the insurance. Hang in there.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Oh no... poor Java!! This situation sucks (for the lack of a better word). That pet insurance will sure come in handy.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was thinking about this just yesterday as my two goobs went sliding and crashing into each other and their Jolly ball. "**** the torpedos, full speed ahead". I like the suggestion of throwing it higher and will try it right now.

Best wishes for a fast and full recovery, Java.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Oh Gina - you can't seem to catch a break. So sorry about Java. I am glad that Moka is healing so well. The chubbies will disappear as soon as she can play off leash again. Glad you got the pet insurance too. That will help a lot. Lots of prayers for continued healing and recovery for both of your baby girls. Sending big hugs from Abbey and Coco too. :grouphug:

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
OMG Java - how could you do that to your momma?! Poor girl. :( That really sucks, but I bet you are SO glad you got insurance! I am thinking of doing it with my two, but they both have "pre-existing" conditions, so I don't know how worth it it would be.

But good news about Moka - I bet she will be thrilled!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts