Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my reassessment last week and it was $7,000 higher than the appraisal I just had in March for my refinance. I called them yesterday to let them know I wanted to appeal.

The assessor called me back today and said they looked at recent sales and they could drop it by $10k.

That was it - I didn't have to go to the office, didn't have to fill out any forms. I just had to call them.

Sweet!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Was that the info you received from the tax office. I am confused on my statment. Looks like it reads the value is like 50k less than the appraised value. But maybe I don't understand what I am reading right.

Wish everything was as easy as that phone call. Very nice.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mambo said:
Was that the info you received from the tax office. I am confused on my statment. Looks like it reads the value is like 50k less than the appraised value. But maybe I don't understand what I am reading right.

Wish everything was as easy as that phone call. Very nice.
This was the actual assessment notice from the assessor's office. Are you looking at your tax statement? Your tax value could be lower than your assessed value because of exemptions - here we have a mortgage exemption and a homestead credit that comes off your assessed value before they apply the tax rate.

Also, some states don't use your actual market value as your assessment value. That's the way it USED to be in Indiana. There were all kinds of adjustments for age and I don't even know what. Some people were living in older homes and had assessed values that were a fraction of what they could get out of their house if they sold it. They just changed ours two years ago so that our assessed values are supposed to equal market value so it's fair.

Maybe your state is the way my state used to be.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I spoke to a co-worker. She said most homes are taxed much less than the real value. Makes me feel Better. We have the homestead too. I think that 25k off the value. But not 100% sure.

Speaking of mortgages. My payment has gone down again. Loving it. I have received more in refunds than my total monthly mortgage payment. ;D

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Mambo said:
Speaking of mortgages. My payment has gone down again. Loving it. I have received more in refunds than my total monthly mortgage payment. ;D
Every year my taxes have gone up. 5% to 10% school, at least 2% town and 2% to 5% county. At the current pace, I will be paying the same amount as my current mortgage bill after my house is paid for.

I will never truly own my house free and clear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts