Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have their dog break out in hives after applying flea meds such as Advantage or Frontline? I have used Advantage on Dixie since summer of 2007 (only when needed, not necessarily monthly during flea season) with no problems that I noticed. I applied it Thursday after I saw a flea on Grace. About 24 hours later she broke out in hives that I ended up having to have treated at the after-hours vet. Then Sunday night it happened again - back to the doggy ER we go. Other than her rabies vaccine on the 22nd, nothing has changed. Could it be the Advantage? Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Morg is allergic to everything it seems - but has never gotten hives from the K9 Advantix we use - just is unusually itchy for a day or so after application. Sorry this happend to you all!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Jake has had reactions to both Frontline Plus and Advantix. Due to the severity of the reactions we don't use any flea/tick products on him anymore.

I would ask your vet for Capstar instead. It's an oral, flea-only treatment you can give if you see fleas. Hope your puppy is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchase everything directly from her vet, because I am paranoid of anything over the internet or from regular stores. There is no expiration date on the packaging at all - just a lot number. I never have understood why there is not date on them. Dixie is feeling a little better today, but she keeps having very small hives pop up and the redness is still in all of her "armpits". I guess it will take a while to get out of her system. Thanks for the suggestions and good thoughts. :)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If those chemicals are supposed to keep fleas off for a month, then it is still in her system, right? So why could she not continue to have a reaction? Really doesn't matter now though, because I will never apply another topical flea med to her again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts