Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I don't post often, but am always lurking and appreciate all the great advice given by all here. So I'm hoping for some training advice...

Our lab Storm, is 2 years old (we've had her since she was a pup). She's a great dog and fairly well trained (mastered sit, stay, recall, all the basics). Her recall has always been good (I say good, because we were never fully comfortable taking her off leash unless in enclosed areas because she can be distracted by squirrels, birds - not always but enough that she couldn't be fully trusted). However, we recently went on vacation for a few weeks (my sister stayed with Storm) and since we've been back we've noticed that it seems that all of Storm's training has gone out the window. She no longer responds to come at all - she was in the backyard last night and barking at the neighbors house (they have a pet duck - don't ask - that's a whole other story) but I couldn't get her to come when called. I had to put on shoes and go out and physically bring her inside. She was also trained to sit on her mat during dinner - now I can't get her to stay on her mat and she's begging at the table (have to get up 4-5 times during dinner to reposition her on her mat).

I know it will take us a few weeks to retrain her on the dinner thing, but my real question is how do I retrain come - is it best to try to retrain her with a completely different word like "here" or can we get her back on track with "come". Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Don't change your words now...... evidently she got away with murder while you were gone...... go back to basics, and retrain the "come". How did you do it before ? That would be the best way to do it again.The way we teach "come" is useing a treat at first. We also use a long line, when outside so if they don't respond at first, you have that lead to get hold of. I would think the way you did it the first time would be best, it should come back to her.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree with Melissa..she is just an adolescent who was spoiled by her aunt for a couple weeks and is seeing how much she can get away with now that Mom is home! ;) Just go back to square one and start reinforcing all the basics. It might take a little while, but she will come around!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! I worked with her on this over the weekend and she's slowly starting to come around. We may reconsider asking Auntie to dogsit again ;D - she's waaay to nice ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts