Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Is my puppy sick? UPDATE Tuesday...at the vet...

We brought home little Bunny on Saturday, she will be 3 mos on Sat. She is half lab half golden. Today, she has been sleeping almost all day, not really whining to leave the kitchen when we aren't there, and now just threw up whatever she ate this morning (she ate around 7am, so about 6 hours ago). Is she having an off day or do you think something could be wrong? She eliminated fine this morning. Also, she did not even eat her whole cup of food this morning, and now I'm putting off lunch since she just hurled. :( She's from rescue, so please don't say I should call the breeder. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,137 Posts
Re: Is my puppy sick?

Hopefully someone more knowledgable than me will answer soon. Did you change her feed over to fast? And maybe she is missing her kennel mates and all the noises that go with it? Is she running a fever? Are her gums nice and pink? Did she just get a shot?
Lets have a few more details....how was her stool?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Is my puppy sick?

Ok...she was on Pedigree before I got her, then on limited food Thurs/Fri for transport. I put her on Innova Puppy Sat, no Pedigree to transition though. She did fine. Stool did look a little mucousy today, but I didn't look that closely. I know she is still kind of detoxing from the poorer food she ate. No recent shots. She was spayed about 2 weeks ago, before I got her, no stitches or anything anymore. She has had a bump along part of her scar line since I got her, but I know sometimes that happens when they get spayed.

ETA just saw the beer post, and remembered she licked up some spilled beer last before we could even get the towel. Also stole a couple raisins when my daughter spilled them, but that was early yesterday.

ETA again....gums pink, no fever, nose is cool. However, looked at her scar again and that bump from surgery is kind of weird...feels more solid than I think it should??? Like it's an extension of an organ or something, strange. Not very "fleshy" feeling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,512 Posts
Re: Is my puppy sick?

First I would call your vet. This is not normal behavior although it could be the sudden change in food. Food should be changed gradually by mixing the old and new together. Second I would call the rescue you got her from and ask if any other dogs are sick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,913 Posts
Re: Is my puppy sick?

I agree -- call the vet. If it was an adult dog who threw up I would say withhold food for 24 hours but you have to be more careful with a puppy. They can go downhill quickly. Call your vet...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Re: Is my puppy sick?

I would call the vet immediately. Raisins are toxic to dogs. The following is quoted from the ASPCA:

Around 1989, the APCC began noticing a trend in dogs who had eaten grapes or raisins: Nearly all developed acute renal (kidney) failure. As more cases were reported, enough data was generated in the database to help veterinarians identify and treat dogs at risk. In all of the cases, the ingredients for potential acute renal failure were the same. Whether the ingested grapes were purchased fresh from grocery stores or grown in private yards didn't seem to matter, nor did the brand eaten. And the ingested amounts varied considerably, from over a pound of grapes to as little as a single serving of raisins. The cases weren't from any specific region, but instead came from across the United States.

The database showed that dogs who ate the grapes and raisins typically vomited within a few hours of ingestion. Most of the time, partially digested grapes and raisins could be seen in the vomit, fecal material, or both. At this point, some dogs would stop eating (anorexia), and develop diarrhea. The dogs often became quiet and lethargic, and showed signs of abdominal pain. These clinical signs lasted for several days -- sometimes even weeks.

When medical care was sought, blood chemistry panels showed consistent patterns. Hypercalcemia (elevated blood calcium levels) was frequently present, as well as elevated levels of blood urea nitrogen, creatinine and phosphorous (substances that reflect kidney function). These chemistries began to increase anywhere from 24 hours to several days after the dogs ate the fruit. As the kidney damage developed, the dogs would produce little urine. When they could no longer produce urine, death occurred. In some cases, dogs who received timely veterinary care still had to be euthanized.
Why did the fruit cause the dogs to become ill? No one knows. Suspect grapes and raisins have been screened for various pesticides, heavy metals (such as zinc or lead), and mycotoxins (fungal contaminants) and so far, all results have come back negative. In the cases where the grapes were grown in private yards, owners confirmed that no insecticides, fertilizers or antifungals had been used on the fruit.

"Raisin" the Success RateEven though the exact cause of the renal failure is unknown, dogs who ingest grapes and raisins can be treated successfully to prevent its development. The first line of defense is decontamination. Inducing vomiting in recent ingestions and administering activated charcoal helps prevent absorption of potential toxins. Dogs should be hospitalized and placed on intravenous fluids for a minimum of 48 hours. A veterinarian should monitor blood chemistry daily for at least three days following the ingestion. If all blood work is normal after three days, it's unlikely that kidney failure will occur. If a dog shows evidence of renal failure, fluids must be continued, and other medications should be used to stimulate urine production. Some dogs may need peritoneal dialysis, a process where the peritoneum (the membranes surrounding the abdominal organs) is used to filter waste products that are normally filtered by the kidney.

Thanks in part to the AnTox database, grape or raisin ingestion can be easily identified and treated. Today, a dog can make a complete recovery from this potentially fatal condition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Is my puppy sick?

Oh man...I knew grapes/raisins were bad but I didn't realize the few she ate could be SO bad for her, otherwise I'd have done something about this yesterday! Calling the vet!! She just threw up again. :( They said to come in at 3....should I be calling the other vet and getting her in, like, now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,122 Posts
Re: Is my puppy sick?

Did you tell them when you called how many and when she ate them? They would have gotten you in immediately if they were that concerned, I would think.

I hope she's OK. :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Re: Is my puppy sick?

I think I would just head right over there at this point. They will get you in asap I am sure. Good thoughts and prayers that Bunny will be ok. :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
Re: Is my puppy sick?

Since you only got her the other day, did you bring her to your vet for a wellness check up? That should always be the first thing with any dog, whether from the pound or a breeder.

I have a feeling with all the stress she has been under of being in a shelter, then coming to a new place, new food, new people, new routines, she's just super stressed. I highly doubt she's sick from eating a few raisins.

Take her to the vet, and let us know what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Is my puppy sick?

Thanks everyone. Bunny is at the vet now, it was heartbreaking to leave her there. But how many puppies just lay on the vet's table? She has a hernia, temp about 102. They are x-raying her abdomen to check for obstruction, either from the hernia or if she happened to swallow something she should not have. Also doing bloodwork...I will give them a call in about 30min to see what they find. :( Poor baby!!! Vet didn't seem overly concerned about a few raisins based on when her symptoms started and such, but blood work will tell. He felt bad we had a new pup and did everything right and she is sick. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Is my puppy sick?

OH man...it's not good. It's not raisins. Her WBC is high, she is puking, having diarrhea....they are giving her IV fluids and antibiotics right now. They can't tell yet if she's obstructed. My poor puppy. This is awful. My kids have waited months for her (we fostered previously). They have been so excited to tell everyone we are keeping this one....the vet just called and was very nice, said he wanted to put on his fatherly hat and talked to me about the cost, etc of this new puppy. He said she is very ill. We are waiting for them to take another xray to see if the gas pattern shows obstruction. Or something called imissence (well it sounded something like that) which is where the small intestine folds on itself like an accordian....oh man I'm gonna cry over here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
Re: Is my puppy sick? UPDATE...Help??

OHh very sorry to read this. :( Good thoughts coming your way for your puppy and family. {{HUG}}
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
Re: Is my puppy sick? UPDATE...Help??

Not knowing what to say except to offer support. Hopefully it will be something they can fix. You are all in my prayers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Is my puppy sick? UPDATE...Help??

Thanks....trying to do sleuth work here. She's had 2 parvo shots I think...does parvo look like this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
Re: Is my puppy sick? UPDATE...Help??

Yes, parvo does look like that. If it is parvo, she'll have to have IV support for 5-7 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,476 Posts
Re: Is my puppy sick? UPDATE...Help??

I'm so sorry about your puppy.
I hope she pulls through.
 
1 - 20 of 184 Posts
Top