Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with a rep from RC Canada once I saw the new post below about the recall. According to the rep I was talking to, this recall only affects the names Vet diets in Canada and no other foods. I specifically asked about Techni-cal (Chicken and Rice Adult and the Large Breed Precision formulas) which is what I feed my dogs and was told that this food was not affected and they are still testing daily to ensure this is the case.

When I questioned her about the website saying that there were foods from their "Sensible" line that were recalled, she stated that they only sell that line in limited quantities in Canada and that the only lines affected in Canada were the Vet diet feline ones.

Grrr...I am flashing onto all the news coming from the states where companies deny any possibility that their foods are affected and then weeks later they are added to the recall list.

Ken

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: RC recall (update)

Sorry, meant to post this this morning. This from the website:

Royal Canin Canada Voluntarily Recalls Pet Food Products That May Contain Contaminated Rice Protein Concentrate

Guelph, Ontario -- Following Royal Canin USA's discovery of a melamine derivative in rice gluten in some of its dry pet food products and its decision to recall these products, Royal Canin Canada has decided to remove Sensible Choice Diet and certain veterinary prescribed specialty diet products from distribution.

The following Royal Canin Canada products are being recalled:

ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET CANINE EARLY CARDIAC
ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET CANINE SENSITIVITY RC
(Rice and Catfish)
ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET CANINE SKIN SUPPORT
ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET FELINE HYPOALLERGENIC HP
ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET FELINE SENSITIVITY RD
(Rice and Duck)
In the interest of pet safety, Royal Canin Canada has taken the proactive measure to recall the products listed above.

"We cannot express how devastated we are to notify pet owners of this finding," said Xavier Unkovic, CEO Royal Canin Canada. "However, we feel that this recall is necessary as we absolutely cannot put pets at risk."

Based on today’s announcement, pet owners should immediately stop feeding their pets the Royal Canin Canada pet food products listed in this statement. Pet owners should consult with a veterinarian if they are concerned about the health of their pet. No other Royal Canin Canada diets are affected by this recall and CONTINUE TO BE safe for pets to eat.

Along with the recall announcement, Royal Canin Canada will no longer use any Chinese suppliers for any of its vegetable proteins.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
All these recalls (and especially the DELAYED recalls!) with pet foods are getting scarier by the minute! I feed a RC Veterinary product and was feeling relieved that the RC canine Vet products were untainted by all of this, and NOW (weeks later) we find out differently. :-\ The product I feed isn't on this list thank heavens, but it leaves you feeling like "what's next?!" when pet food recalls are spanning weeks apart!

Has the question yet been answered as how this crap (melamine) got into the wheat and rice gluten?

That's another thing...The RC Canada site has "Rice Gluten" and yet I've read other places that "Rice Protein Concentrate" was the tainted ingredient. Are they the same thing? ???

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
yes rice protein concentrate and rice gluten are the same thing. One other interesting thing is Royal Canin is recalling different things between the US and Canada so hopefully no US products made it into Canada and no Canada products made it to the US.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kzunell said:
yes rice protein concentrate and rice gluten are the same thing. One other interesting thing is Royal Canin is recalling different things between the US and Canada so hopefully no US products made it into Canada and no Canada products made it to the US.

Kelly and Amber
This is what was told to me in a round about way today by a rep with RC Canada but some of what she said just did not add up. I feel like she was told to give the official line and not deviate from it. First she denied any other product other then the Vet formula was recalled (as per the RC website) then when I pointed out the info from the other site, she responded that that was the US and that their "Sensible" formula's were not in Canada. Well to me maybe the "Sensible" line is not in Canada but that does not mean the ingredients are not.

I agree this gets scarier by the second

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I did do a few searches on dog food ingredients and there are some US companies that do not use any grain proteins. Canidae would be a good choice as would Innova Evo and also SOME of the Proplan foods(some do contain grain protains). I think that you should for now stop using any food that contains any glutens or concentrated proteins these would include wheat,barely,soy,rice,corn etc..
There are enough foods out there you should be able to find them, I know I found several choices in about 15 minutes.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Kzunell said:
One other interesting thing is Royal Canin is recalling different things between the US and Canada so hopefully no US products made it into Canada and no Canada products made it to the US.
Kelly and Amber
Hmmm. I didn't notice that. The US site has listed all their products that they indicate are NOT affected, but the Canadian site just lists the affected products. I use one of the Veterinary products, but it doesn't indicate that it's affected. Still I'm not feeling very confident at the moment. :-\

Odd too that the Canadian site says "rice gluten" and US says "rice protein concentrate." If they are the same thing it just makes it confusing for consumers to use different names.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts