Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you feed your lab rawhide? Every time I give Maggie rawhide she throws up. Obviously I'm not going to give her anymore rawhide, but I'm just wondering if it is just her or if it happens to others as well. It will happen with any size of rawhide chew. Small ones or larger ones.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
She throws up alot also. Not just the piece of rawhide either.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Toby got serious explosive diarrhea the one time he was given rawhide (by a well-meaning friend before we could stop him!). Once was enough, the experiment was never repeated. And I worry too much about the blockage potential, too, so we keep a rawhide-free home. Chamois has never tried it.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Nope. Rawhide will not pass my dogs' lips. Too many blockages caused by rawhide and then there's the arsenic that some Chinese manufacturers of rawhide has added to it. No thanks.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
No rawhide in this house, either. Stuffed, frozen Kongs, Marrow bones, or durable Nylabones only.

·
Registered
830 Posts
No rawhides for Oakley either. Someone gave her a huge rawhide bone for Christmas in 07 and it is still in the cupboard. She has a nylabone and I occasionally give her a frozen raw bone.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Absolutely not. I can't believe they even sell that crap still.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
No rawhide here; no pigs ears or any of that crap either.

When you say "frozen marrow bones", do you mean actual bones or those little cookie treats called marrowbones?

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
No rawhide here; no pigs ears or any of that crap either.

When you say "frozen marrow bones", do you mean actual bones or those little cookie treats called marrowbones?
Actual raw bones. They are great treats and clean up teeth in the process. You never want to give them to the dog cooked - raw is safe, cooked is splintery.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Actual raw bones. They are great treats and clean up teeth in the process. You never want to give them to the dog cooked - raw is safe, cooked is splintery.
That's what I thought, I didn't really think people would be freezing those dog cookies. LOL

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Our dogs have never had problems with rawhide. I buy American made products, and we've never had a problem. Some dogs just don't do well with them...either their tummies can't handle them, they are gulpers and are prone to choking on them, but some do just fine. It's a Supervision Only type of treat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts