Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that giving your dog a rawhide chewie is not a good idea, and could lead to a possible blockage. My question is what about a bully stick? is there any difference or do they also pose a health risk? Are they okay for puppies?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I think, for a puppy, I'd stick with things like Kongs. A bully stick is a dried penis, and I'd be a bit worried about what they might pick up from it, same with pig's ears and cow hooves. You don't know if they have been sterilized or not. Rawhide is a no-no.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I don't use either but a lot of people who don't and won't use rawhide, do allow the bully sticks.

Your best bet for a pup, is to ask the butcher at the grocery store to give you some marrow bones. Let the puppy have it for 15 minutes or so, rinse it off, put in a ziplok bag and re-freeze it.
Take it out and allow him to have it again for 15-20 minutes. Reason being the marrow is rich and could cause some loose bowels.
Marrow bones are great for their teeth, and for you to get some peace.
Sunday is marrow bone day here and right now, all 3 dogs are off to different areas of the house, chewing happily on their marrow bones.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
My vet advised to not give marrow bones to a pup until their adult teeth are in and well set, otherwise the teeth can be prematurely worn.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
AmazonGold said:
I think, for a puppy, I'd stick with things like Kongs. A bully stick is a dried penis, and I'd be a bit worried about what they might pick up from it, same with pig's ears and cow hooves. You don't know if they have been sterilized or not. Rawhide is a no-no.
WHAAAA? A Bully stick is just pressed rawhide in the shape of a stick (sometimes braided). Unless I'm thinking of something completely different - I've never heard that it's a penis?!?

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
MyLabsMom said:
AmazonGold said:
WHAAAA? A Bully stick is just pressed rawhide in the shape of a stick (sometimes braided). Unless I'm thinking of something completely different - I've never heard that it's a penis?!?
I think the real Bully Stick is in fact a dried bull's penis.

G

·
MyLabsMom said:
AmazonGold said:
Yep, it's a dried bull penis. One more slaughterhouse by-product. I have never given them to my dogs and stopped with the rawhide several years ago. Marrow bones or stuffed kongs are what I use.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Although I do occasionally feed rawhide to my adult dogs I wouldn't risk it with a puppy. Puppy teeth are not as strong as adult teeth and ripping off big chunks would worry me. I prefer to stick with safe chewies for pups -- Kongs, Nylabones, etc. When all the adult teeth are in you can try marrow bones which are, IMO, the best of the best.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Cinnamon gets bully sticks....and yes it is a dried bull penis...size varies between bulls and what part of the penis you get.

She also gets bones...she does not get rawhide. A bully stick is dried but not compressed like rawhide.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the clearification !- Since my husband is a meatcutter for a local grocery chain, I guess the best and cheapest will be the marrow bones, for short periods of time, once Doolie gets a bit older.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I don't give Rawhide because of the chance for blockage. Risk is just too great.

I give Tal a marrow bone about once a week and I also give him bully sticks occasionally. Main chew treats tho are frozen kongs.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I use rawhides but only the ones that are braided. Oona cannot break off a piece big enough to cause a problem. Once it gets small enough to separate into three pieces I take it away.
Olie

·
Registered
181 Posts
I gave Riley a bully stick once but the smell was so bad "gag, gag, gag" it was like dried pee. :p Also it upset his tummy.
He won't get anymore of those nasty things.
He loves stuffed kongs. ;D

G

·
Oonas Dad said:
I use rawhides but only the ones that are braided. Oona cannot break off a piece big enough to cause a problem. Once it gets small enough to separate into three pieces I take it away.
Olie
It is not just the blockage hazard that bothers me. I have no idea what is used to cure the rawhide. There were some that used formaldehyde in the processing a few years ago and could very well still be some of those around - particularly if they are from a foreign source. Not a "good for the dog" treat from any point of view.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Rider gets bully sticks once in a while. Not all bully sticks are penises...some are just dried tendons too.

Rawhides give Rider the squirts. I like marrow bones the best.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Mine do OK with rawhide and bully sticks. I give rawhides more often. They do get marrow bones too, but lately we haven't been giving too many as they dogs are more interested in playing in the yard than chewing a bone...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts