Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if my dog could eat raw pork chop bones? I cut the meat off the bone before I cook them for my family. Tonight I decided to save them and put in the freezer. Do you think she could have one? And will this help clean her teeth? Also would other raw bones help her teeth...or is it just marrow bones? I can't find marrow bones at the store.

Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
I personally do not feed pork chop bones as the cuts are sharp and the bones are small which could pose a choking hazard as your pooch may not chew them well. Also if i did feed them or any smallish cut bone i would not take off the meat as the meat around the bone makes it go down easier and encourages chewing. :)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
There's nothing wrong with feeding raw pork but I agree the bone in a chop could be easily swallowed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wouldn't feed my two dogs Cecil and Congo pork bones, because of the splinter effect of the bones. They seam to be jagged and I agree with the other posts they could be hazardous if they are swallowed. Better safe than sorry, I always say.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i consider all raw bones safe except fish & poultry. when you cook them, the bones become a hazard because they splinter. i'd never give poultry or fishbones --raw or cooked.

my lab & portuguese water dog eat nature's variety raw patties and their raw instinct freeze dried kibble, and whatever they beg from whoever's eating; including pork, steak and rib bones. they love wellnesses yogurt & apple bars. i added a cup of the freeze-dried kibble (says grain-free) for the dogs' teeth but i may stop the kibble because their teeth are cleaned well-enough from bones & rawhide. they like apples and carrots....

the pwd is overweight and since he's 8yrs old i'm gonna cut down on both dogs' caloric intake. no more pigs' ears!

the dogs are healthy--so i'm happy.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
i consider all raw bones safe except fish & poultry. when you cook them, the bones become a hazard because they splinter. i'd never give poultry or fishbones --raw or cooked.
I think we are talking about RMBs not recreational bones. Poultry and fish are extremely safe choices.
In general, try to keep the bones very small or very large and try to avoid weight bearing bones as these are the most likely to create sharp fragments.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Do you feed raw? We are talking about raw meaty bones, not recreational bones. Chicken has been the safe mainstay of raw feeders' diets for year. :angel:

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
As a new raw feeder, I can attest that all the literature says chicken and fish bones RAW are safe. My dogs crunch chicken bones down so fast, I have never seen them enjoy a meal so much and so fast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts