Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First off, thank you so much for all your wonderful posts. I have read every single one in this section and it has helped me take the plunge into a raw diet for Hobart.

After doing lots of research reading a few books we have finally started with the raw diet. We chose to begin by feeding the Bravo Chicken premade raw in order to get ourselves and hobie adjusted. We had our first raw meal last night and it was a huge success. Hobart went right for it like he had been eating it his whole life. We thought we were going to have a rough night because he has had a history of stomach problems, but he slept through the night, and had one solid (very solid) poop this morning. No vomitting, nothing! YAYYYYY. Maybe this wont last, but we were very happy.

As of right now we are only feeding the bravo mixture (which has bone, meat, organ meat, and 3 veggies). I wanted to see how he reacted to this plain before I started adding things.

Here are my questions (please help!)

1. We were informed (by the planet dog company store in portland, ME) to add Wysong "Call of the Wild" to his Bravo to make sure he is getting everything he needs- is this a good idea? Do we do this at every meal? Anyone else do this?

wysong website for ingredients- http://www.wysong.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WOTTPWS&Product_Code=CALL_OF_THE_WILD&Category_Code=SUP&Product_Count=3

2. What types of things should we add to the bravo to make sure he gets everything he needs. I realize that not every meal has to be balanced, but I am not even sure where to begin since the Bravo already has the main components of a raw meal. (eggs? supplements? other veggies?)

3. Does the wysong stuff we bought have the EFA's and the probiotics and the vitamin E that he needs? Should I be adding anything else?

We are going to just feed the chicken for about 2 weeks, then we are going to start adding other proteins- turkey, lamb, etc.

Our goal is to be able to do our own Raw in a few months as to cut down on cost and have more control and variety in his diet.

Well thanks for taking the time to read this! You are all so helpful!!!!

PS: Hobart is a male, 1.5 years old.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Sorry, but I have never heard of that stuff. I do add a vitamin E and C, sardine oil, kelp three times a week. Plus a couple extra things that his holistic vet wants him on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
we used Wysong for along time with our two goldens, but eventually decided to move into the RAW diet. '

Wysong is a great product.

·
Registered
101 Posts
There are many different ways to feed raw. You'll have to find what works for you.

I personally do not supplement as I have decided to follow the whole prey model to the best of my ability. As long Indy is healthy and getting plenty of variety, he shouldn't need any supplements. But I was the worst worry wart about making sure his diet was complete and balanced, so I know where you're coming from ;D

That said, Wysong makes great (but expensive) products, I've heard nothing but positives about them. So if it helps you feel confident that you're not missing anything, go for it. The Bravo pre-made is probably complete. I would check to make sure it includes fish oil, if not, buy fish like salmon, mackerel, sardines etc .. get them uncleaned if you can, but either way, they will provide his omega 3's. If they give a break down of the ratio of meat, bone, offal and veggies, that would be helpful. Maybe someone who has used Bravo is more knowledgable.

When I weaned us off the NV frozen patties onto whole prey, I started with whole chickens and/or chicken quarters (I try to find the stuff that is not enhanced with any sort of solution since I can't afford organic). They are still the staple of Indy's diet, with other things added for variety. He gets chicken darn near every day, I try to make sure he has fish at least once a week. I try to add at least one pork meal and one beef meal per week (I wish I could do more, still trying to find sources). I give lots of organic eggs (eggs are one of the few organics I can afford, so I get them). Not every day, I don't really keep track, but he probably eats 6 or so per week, with the shell. I make sure he gets beef liver (for some reason he won't touch raw chicken liver, such a discerning pallet :)) once a week. I don't weigh it, but I'd say maybe 5 ounces per week. I try to make sure he gets some funky disgusting smelling stuff too, like stomach, heart, sweet breads, cheek meat, kidney, gizzards etc. I strive for approx 80% meat and connective tissue, 10% bone, 10% organs.

I think the real key is variety, I'm still striving for that. It's tough. The grocery stores around here are pretty sad and though I live in a very agricultural area, it's hard to find people willing to sell direct, let alone at an affordable price. Pretty soon I'm going to take up fishing and hunting just to feed my pets! If I lived in the country, and wasn't afraid of turning them all into pets, I'd probably already have a yard full of chickens, goats, rabbits and sheep ;D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts