Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend works as a massage therapist so she talks to a lot of people. Yesterday, one of her customers told her that dogs on raw food become aggressive ::) ::) ::) I wonder where people get this info ??? ???

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Yah that's pretty dumb. Prolly cause people see eating raw food as "savage" (like lions).. heeheehee ;)

Whereas dogs that eat carrots are sweethearts.. like bunnies!! ;D

I won't do it for the disease factor. I think that's a waayy better motivation to avoid raw!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm 57 yrs. old, and can vaguely remember eating raw hamburger, potatoes, apple skins and such with the dog. I even remember what Milkbones taste like. ;D
But times,, they have changed. We raised and bartered a lot more then for fresh farm raised food stuff.
Not all "progress" is good? ::)

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I tasted milkbones too!! pretty darn bland if I remember correctly!! ;D ;D

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
riarcher said:
I'm 57 yrs. old, and can vaguely remember eating raw hamburger,
OH MY!!!! SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERS DOING THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A HOOT!!!! We certainly are not blood thirsty.

The blood thirsty thing has been around for ever. There is a Delta tester in this area that is very loud and verbal saying that. I just let her talk. Shows how ignorant she really is. Stupid.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
But... the dogs that eat veggies are nicer.... aren't they?

I mean.. who couldn't love a veggie eating dog!! But those meat eating ones are shady characters I'm tellin you... ;D ;D ;D ::)

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
CHOCOLATA said:
My friend works as a massage therapist so she talks to a lot of people. Yesterday, one of her customers told her that dogs on raw food become aggressive ::) ::) ::) I wonder where people get this info ??? ???
Yeah, but you get used to it. Once I lost a few fingers, I learned to feed him from a distance. KIDDING!!! As the others have said, there is no truth to this whatsoever, and like you, I wonder where people get it.

Now I know some hunters that are hesitant to feed their dogs the food they hunt (i.e. feed raw duck to Labs that duck hunt), and I can someone understand that. It could foster some confusion, although Jes seems to understand the difference.

My overaggressive, meat-eating Lab just had an adorable incident with my Godson the other week and I wish I had a camera. My Godson is 13 months old and he crawled up on Jes, was pulling his ears (at which point I said "be easy") and he started petting him. Jes turned around and gave him a huge lick (which a Lab's tongue compared to a baby's face isn't fair :D) right across the face.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Nick said:
Now I know some hunters that are hesitant to feed their dogs the food they hunt (i.e. feed raw duck to Labs that duck hunt), and I can someone understand that. It could foster some confusion, although Jes seems to understand the difference.
I have had that concern as well even though I have not really started Caleb on birds yet. Actually I don't feed a lot of duck but I guess we'll see.

Nick said:
My overaggressive, meat-eating Lab just had an adorable incident with my Godson the other week and I wish I had a camera. My Godson is 13 months old and he crawled up on Jes, was pulling his ears (at which point I said "be easy") and he started petting him. Jes turned around and gave him a huge lick (which a Lab's tongue compared to a baby's face isn't fair :D) right across the face.
;D Vicious Labrador!!! ;D ;D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yellow Boys Mom said:
I have had that concern as well even though I have not really started Caleb on birds yet. Actually I don't feed a lot of duck but I guess we'll see.
I feed duck but not very often, it is quite fatty. Chocolata does not hunt - I wish there was a place near by where she could. She would love it.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Oh dear.I knew there was a reason why Ernie destuffed and pulled heads off toys. Its the raw diet he's on.
Where do people get this stuff. I was told black labs don't get fleas. Probably cause you can't see them.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
kassabella said:
Where do people get this stuff. I was told black labs don't get fleas. Probably cause you can't see them.
Now, that is a new one for me! They don't get fleas, wow!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
When I was in the midst of my puppy hunt, I actually had one "breeder" tell me that black labs are hyper, yellow labs are mellow, and chocolate labs are anti-social, so I should keep that in mind when looking for which type I want...

Unreal!! I laughed in her face! I'm dumb but not that dumb :p ::)

Should I mention she only bred yellows? hmmm... ;D

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
IMO feeding a raw diet to a carnivore is like giving a scratching post to a cat. These animals (cat, dog, ferret) all have a natural urge to scratch, rip, tear, gnaw, bite. Feeding a natural diet does not make them more agressive, it encourages them to get those natural habits out of their system in a responsible, appropriate way. Ever since my ferrets went raw I have not had a SINGLE problem with them nipping me. I assume it also is the same for dogs.

What people don't realize is dogs are carnivores. They have a instinct to kill and eat food (or scavenge) Whether they are fed kibble or whether they are fed a biologically appropriate diet has NO bearing on that instict. It is there regardless. Like I mentioned above I would think that a dog that had a chance to act on its natural insticnts and behaviors would be more apt to behave, instead of taking out those natural habits (such as biting) on a human

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
They have a instinct to kill and eat food (or scavenge) Whether they are fed kibble or whether they are fed a biologically appropriate diet has NO bearing on that instict.
There was an incredibly interesting show on a while back (if only I had the money for TiVo) that was talking about how all those instincts (chasing, tearing, finding, etc.) have been separated in the various breeds and enhanced.

They talked about how herding dogs like Shelties really focus in on the chase aspect, while the attack, bite, and kill instinct has largely been bred out. With Labs, again, the chasing and to a lesser extent the bite (for retrieving) has been retained.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I found it really interesting how they taken all the characteristics that make wolves good hunters and divided them over the various breeds so that we now have breeds really good at certain things.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I think it was on PBS (one of those nature shows)...if I ever see it on again, I'll be sure in post about it in case anyone wishes to watch it.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Nick said:
I think it was on PBS (one of those nature shows)...if I ever see it on again, I'll be sure in post about it in case anyone wishes to watch it.
That would be great, sounds really interesting

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nick said:
First part was on last Sunday, I think the second part is going to be on this coming Sunday :)

I recorded it, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's called Nature: Dogs That Changed the World

Part 1 aired last Sunday at 8 on PBS and focused on early evolution and showed how we've trained dogs to work for us, Part 2 airs this Sunday at 8 and will focus on breeding and how we've changed the species. Some PBS stations might air part one this weekend, check your local listings if you're interested.

I finally watched Part 1 last night, it was good ... Indy loved it too! He watched the whole thing. This show might make a good puppy sitting DVD ... he was really into it :) When the dogs started barking and howling, he stood on the sofa, alert and ready to join in the fun I think. He was so upset when I paused the show for a two minute break that he ate the remote control while I was in the bathroom ... well to be fair, he didn't eat it as much as break it into many small pieces :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts