Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have no scientific proof.... but....

About seven or eight months ago Magnum developed her first lyphoma (fatty tumor). It just popped up one day, about the size of a quarter, on her side. I've kept a vigilant eye on it.

About seven or eight months ago I changed Magnum's diet to Raw and Innova Evo.

The lyphoma has NOT gotten bigger, and has actually gotten smaller (about the size of a nickle now).

I asked the vet about this, and she said it IS possible that diet plays a big part in the development of lyphomas.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Interesting Linda. I know my black girl and Tobie had tons of them. I thought a lot of them were where the needles went in for their shots. Interesting that the fatty tumor has actually gone down.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My old boy, Shadow, had a lot of them, as did my Golden Retriever. None were where they gave shots. Most were around the abdomen and under the armpit and on the chest. My vets have always given shots near the shoulder blade/back area.

It will be interesting to see if she develops any more of them. I'm keeping a close watch on her, and Ruger too.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Definitely sounds plausible. Dietary changes are quickly becoming a part of a wide variety of cancer treatments as we learn (in humans, so I'm assuming there are similar results in dogs) about how certain foods prevent cancer or even disrupt its growth while others fuel it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Chocolata had mass cell tumor before I switched to raw. I talked to my holistic vet about it and he told me that cancer feeds of carbs.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
The older lab Sam who now lives with me has a couple of huge ones on his chest. I am sure these have gone down since he has been with me.

Vets are sure the diet I feed Kassa when she had cancer helped her live longer.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I've got an old girl here with quite a few old lady lumps and bumps. She was vaccinated as a youngster though and fed kibble for her first few months and does have a sluggish liver now as a result.
Lipomas are thought to be the result of a metabolic disorder, usually liver damage from vaccines. I would do a homeopathic vaccine detox, followed by some sort of liver cleanse with liver enzymes and lots of B vitamins and vitamin C (ester C or ascorbate).

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Fall River,

Can you expand on this?

I would do a homeopathic vaccine detox, followed by some sort of liver cleanse with liver enzymes and lots of B vitamins and vitamin C (ester C or ascorbate).
What do you recommend for a vaccine detox? and a liver cleanse? Does raw chicken liver count as lots of b vitamins? And for vitamin C? And is good for cats as well?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Cinder4evr said:
Fall River,

Can you expand on this?

I would do a homeopathic vaccine detox, followed by some sort of liver cleanse with liver enzymes and lots of B vitamins and vitamin C (ester C or ascorbate).
What do you recommend for a vaccine detox? and a liver cleanse? Does raw chicken liver count as lots of b vitamins? And for vitamin C? And is good for cats as well?
I have used some of Nature's Sunshine detox for Caleb as well as some stuff from his holistic vet. I don't necessarialy depend on the food for the source of the vitamins when I am working to rebuild an immune system after a detox.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
CHOCOLATA said:
I did not know you had another one besides Ernie?!
Yes

Apollopuppy said:
I think poor Kassa passed away and then they got Ernie. Am I correct?
Apollopuppy said:
I think poor Kassa passed away and then they got Ernie. Am I correct?

sorry to go off topic.

Yes. Ernie is Kassa's littermate. I adopted him 2 years ago yesterday.

I should post on Sam. You newer people won't have known. About a year or more ago Sams owners wouldn't do anything for his epilesy and other medical probelms so I said I would pay the vet bills.

I couldn't take Sam as Ernie needed me and Sam had had too many owners.

Around Xmas time I came home and found Sam on the doorstep. they had gone on holiday. Since then he has been here and I don't think he will leave any time soon.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of the osteosarcoma...it is awful when we lose them at an early age and fear of cancer is the reason I started looking at raw food in the first place.
Poor sam is home at last I guess...what a big heart you have :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

The vaccine detox depends on the vaccines given and on the symptoms. Your best bet would be to consult with a classical homeopath. If you want to give it a shot without help, you could try something like:

http://www.holisticanimalmedicines.com/product_info.php?products_id=87

and for the liver: http://www.holisticanimalmedicines.com/product_info.php?products_id=83

If you want to try Chinese Medicine, you could detox the liver with Four-Marvel Powder and a good powdered B vitamin complex.

Natural Canine also has a limpoma formula: http://www.naturalcanine.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TNC&Category_Code=LFT

You may not be able to shrink the ones that are there, but the lipomas are usually harmless anyway. I would however, run a blood panel on a dog with lipomas, just to be sure the liver is working OK. The limpomas are a symoptom of something going on deeper in the body, so you need to get at the root of that.

·
Registered
412 Posts
kassabella said:
sorry to go off topic.

I should post on Sam. You newer people won't have known. About a year or more ago Sams owners wouldn't do anything for his epilesy and other medical probelms so I said I would pay the vet bills.

I couldn't take Sam as Ernie needed me and Sam had had too many owners.
Thank you. I always see you but did not know about Sam. So, yes you could introduce him ;D He is lucky to have you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts